banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my last question about mics, i swear....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: my last question about mics, i swear....

Originally posted by xerxes
    aight, there is a audio technica 2020 on ebay now with a free stand and cable...so ill give it a try....it works well with vocals? acoustic? anything else?
    I've only personally heard it on acoustics, though I have heard of people using it for vocals and getting great results. I'm sure you could also try throwing it up on a cabinet sometime along with an sm57 or something and it might work well in that respect as well.
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

I have a AKG C3000B here at the house. They are actually a deceint mic for the money but like all things it's about application. I find the C3000B a little "spitty" or bright at the top end for male vocals but it's a useable mic if you have a deceint preamp and compression. It's better suited for chick vocals, woodwinds, acoustic guitar and it makes a great overhead drum mic. It's really not a bad mic to have in the drawer.

For male vocals I'm saving up for a Rodes K2. They list at $699 so they really aren't top dollar mics considering what many large diaphram tube condenser mics generally go for and they sound huge and warm through a deceint preamp.

The Rodes NT series mics as well as the Blue series mics are also well received by folks into recording.

I know it's all about budget but start putting away for a deceint mic preamp and compression. I run an Aphex 207 dual channel tube preamp and a DBX 166XL compressor, as well as a DBX 1231 EQ in my vocal chain. They aren't Fairchilds by any stretch but they work well enough to pull solid, "in your face" vocals out of just about any mic.

Even a vintage RCA ribbon mic can sound like ass with poor preamping and compression.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
        brow, what was wrong with the c3000?
        I just don't like the sound of it to be honest.

It seems to have an abundance of top end, and doesn't seem to sound very full. On some drums etc it may be ok, but I personally wouldn't want to use it on Vocals or guitars

It's just my opinion, I know people that love these mics

Comment

Working...
        X