De-mud mod clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De-mud mod clip

I didn't want to hijack John's thread, so here's the my de-mud mod clip. I'm using a 59 neck. The difference is very subtle. Obviously, you don't want to change the basic character of the pup. On computer speakers, you may not even hear the difference.

Its a real simple chord progresion that goes normal/mod-on. Loop it to help hear the difference.

de-mud mod

Artie

btw - You wouldn't want to do this on a bridge pup.

Re: De-mud mod clip

What is the mod?
    ~kac
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Sorry . . . it was from an old thread.

The original thread called for a pot where the resistor is, but the pot wasn't worthwhile. The plain resistor is, though. I've done this on a 59 and a Distortion neck so far. Works great on both.

Artie

Comment

I definitely hear the difference (I have some decent nearfields hooked ot my PC) but I wish the mod were even more effective. Would changing the value of either the cap or the resistor allow for deeper cuts into the mud?
        ---------------------------
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius
          I definitely hear the difference (I have some decent nearfields hooked ot my PC) but I wish the mod were even more effective. Would changing the value of either the cap or the resistor allow for deeper cuts into the mud?
          Absolutely. Adjust the cap to select the roll-off point. Adjust the resistor to control how much of the full range to blend in.

A .015 will filter out less bass, while a .0047uf will filter out more. You have to play with the values. They are, somewhat, pup-resistance dependent.

You can use a pot for the resistor to find the ideal value there. You can even leave the resistor out completely. The difference is subtle. You just need to experiment. I brought my red and white wires out from under the pickguard so that I could "clip" different values into place quickly.

Comment

Wow, I can definitely hear a difference, even through my PC speakers (Altec Lansings). I'll have to remember this, or better yet.....

Admins.......VAULT PLEASE!!! This one's a keeper.

Comment

I'm trying to get my own webpage up with some of these. Finding the time, and the gumption, at the same time is the problem.

Artie

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                I'm trying to get my own webpage up with some of these. Finding the time, and the gumption, at the same time is the problem.

Artie
                If you need some help, just let me know. I could whip up a mods page real fast. Just send me what they are and I'll get the basics laid out ready for you to insert the file names of the graphics and sound clips.

Comment

Cool. I just might take you up on that.

Thanks Erik;
                  Artie

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius
                    I definitely hear the difference (I have some decent nearfields hooked ot my PC) but I wish the mod were even more effective.
                    I forgot to mention, there's a fair amount of clarity, or fidelity, thats lost in the MP3 conversion. What I hear, and whats on that clip, are somewhat different. You may want to start with those values, and go from there.

Comment

Subtle but they are different.

Comment

What is the difference between using the cap and resistor vs. using just the cap? Would a typical .022 uF cap alone work for a subtle reduction in low end on a 59 neck HB in a Les Paul, or would that be too subtle?

Thanks for posting this thread!

Comment

The difference between using the resistor or not, is so subtle that it might be my imagination. I started with a 500k pot, and discovered that it sounded best with the pot full-on. So I just used a 500k resistor. Since I still have my mod hanging out from under the pickguard, I'll try clipping the resistor off and listening for the difference.

Changing the cap to .022 will have some affect, but I'm not sure what. I'll swap that out also, and report back tomorrow.

Artie

Comment

i can hear it! it's *slightly* edgier.. it fixes the only gripe i had with the '59 neck, if it cuts the bass like you say

tom

Comment

It does. It works great with a Distortion neck also.

Comment

Working...
                              X