Learn me how to tap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn me how to tap!!

Yes.. I need you to show me how to do taps properly. I've tried but I can't do it properly, so maybe you can tell me a bit about it, show me a site or whatever you might think can help me.

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
    Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
    Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
    Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
    Framus FR212 CB cabinet
    Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
    Line6 Toneport UX2
    Rocktron Heart Attack

Re: Learn me how to tap!!

Tapping is one of those things that comes with a bit of patience and practice and is fairly easy after you "get it" so to speak.

The best way is to start slowly using two hands. Keep the mentality that you're pulling the string like in a hammer off with each finger and try to keep the spacing between notes steady. Gradually speed up and soon it'll be so easy you'll wonder how you ever had trouble.
    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
    Marshall 1960a
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Hey thanks man, I appreciate it. I wouldn't mind if you went more in to detail though, but maybe I should just try and practice it some more, I don't know.

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
      Framus FR212 CB cabinet
      Line6 Toneport UX2
      Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Here's a basic EVH style tapping (all on the first string)

Fret the 5th (left hand, pick to get started if you want)
        Hammer on to the 8th (left hand)
        Hammer on to the 12th (right hand, middle finger if you want to keep holding your pick)
        Flick off the 12th with your right hand, back to the 5th (that's the slightly tricky part, you have to have lifted whatever finger you hammered on the 8th with so the the pull off with the right hand falls back to the 5th)

So, in tab (notes only, doesn't include articulation symbols)

--5--8--12--5--

And you can repeat the second step (hammering on the eight) and just keep looping around and around. You don't have to start by picking the 5th if you don't want to, you can just hammer straight onto the 8th. To make it sound more interesting, you can do that lick a few times, then start tapping the 13th fret, then the 14th, or move your left hand up a position, etc. Hope that all makes sense.

Edit: combine that with Death's Ace's tips... start slowly, play evenly, and just let the speed build up. Tapping is one of those things that isn't so hard to do fast per se, but it is hard to launch straight into doing it quickly. So at first, you'll find that to play well, you'll need to keep starting slowly and accelerating. But like everything else, practice makes perfect (or fairly good, anyway )
        Last edited by SpiderVenom; 11-13-2005, 03:18 PM.
        Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Comment

the tab should look more like this

-5h8-t(12)-8p5

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderVenom
            Here's a basic EVH style tapping (all on the first string)

Fret the 5th (left hand, pick to get started if you want)
            Hammer on to the 8th (left hand)
            Hammer on to the 12th (right hand, middle finger if you want to keep holding your pick)
            Flick off the 12th with your left hand, back to the 5th (that's the slightly tricky part, you have to have lifted whatever finger you hammered on the 8th with so the the pull off with the right hand falls back to the 5th)

So, in tab (notes only)

--5--8--12--5--
            Indeed that lick is very reminiscent of Eruption.

When you get that, like SV said, just try moving it around one fret at a time, shifting the whole pattern. Or you could keep your hand in the 5th position and move the tapping finger fret by fret. Practice makes perfect.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
              the tab should look more like this

-5h8-t(12)-8p5
              I know, but that's why I said "notes only". I intended to just show what notes were being played, in what order.

Plus, your tab is wrong. You show the 8th fret pulling off to the 5th. In my piece, it's intended for the player to pull off from the 12th, straight to the 5th. So the correct tab would be

-5h8t12p5- (so easy to read, ain't it )

Edit: oops, a mistake in my original instructions, too. Corrected it in bold. Metalman_666 quoted it first though
              Last edited by SpiderVenom; 11-13-2005, 03:20 PM.

Comment

I know, but that's why I said "notes only". I intended to just show what notes were being played, in what order.

Plus, your tab is wrong. You show the 8th fret pulling off to the 5th. In my piece, it's intended for the player to pull off from the 12th, straight to the 5th. So the correct tab would be

-5h8t12p5- (so easy to read, ain't it )

Edit: oops, a mistake in my original instructions, too. Corrected it in bold. Metalman_666 quoted it first though
                yah.. my bad.. brain not working well today

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                  yah.. my bad.. brain not working well today
                  Yeah, I know how you feel. Except I don't think mine ever works well, period.

And Sune... as another note... do try mixing it up a bit, other than just shifting positions. For example, to get a more ascending/descending style, do the shown example, but instead of pulling off from the 12th back to the 5th, pull off back to the 8th and then the 5th (so you would have left the 8th fretted when you hammered on). That is, --5--8--12--8--5-- and so on. Gives a more cyclic feel, whereas the first one climbs then drops straight back. Basically, just try different stuff (doing so is important so that your muscles learn the skill set, as opposed to just being good at a particular lick).

Comment

Here's a little video I did for showing the tapping section to one of my solos, Plaza De Toros. You can hear the whole song at www.twilight-odyssey.com. Hope you find it helpful!

The new instructional site I will start up in a couple of months, Melodic Rock Guitar Concepts will cover finger tapping and other lead guitar techniques as well.

The key to clean fingertapping is to keep your hands clear of the strings to avoid ringing. I also prefer to play melodies instead of just repeating notes over and over. Experiment and have fun with it!
                    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

As a side note, Troy Stetina's book Metal Guitar Tricks will teach you pretty much every right hand technique imagineable.

Comment

Hey thanks dudes!! I really appreciate all the help.

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                        Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                        Line6 Toneport UX2
                        Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

As a side note, Troy Stetina's book Metal Guitar Tricks will teach you pretty much every right hand technique imagineable.
                          I recently bought his book Speed Mechanics of Lead Guitar because I heard good things about it... when I find time to read I'm hoping it will improve my speed and technique greatly.
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666
                            I recently bought his book Speed Mechanics of Lead Guitar because I heard good things about it... when I find time to read I'm hoping it will improve my speed and technique greatly.
                            *for

Brilliant book. Just so amazingly comprehensive. Does require some decent practice put into it though... and don't skip ahead to the "fun" parts. It's written the way it is to build up the right skills first.

Comment

Tapping always sounds like a circus trick to me. Just slow down a bit, let me take it in!
                              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                              X