recording studio questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: recording studio questions....

yeah i saw that.....only problem is i dont think the comp i have now is compatable with the card needed....im most lkely gonna stay with the yamaha aw16g...
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
      yeah i saw that.....only problem is i dont think the comp i have now is compatable with the card needed....im most lkely gonna stay with the yamaha aw16g...
      I'm not sure what you mean by card but that interface only needs firewire or usb I forget which.
      Speak through your fingers

Comment

As regards to rates, i think we did fairly well-

£15 per hour- which included everything, hell even got to play through a mesa dual rectifier

Samples of it- www.omissiononline.com
        PC: Windows XP/Vista, Intel Q6600 @ 3.6ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 1TB HDD, M-Audio 1010lt
        DAW: Nuendo
        Noise: 5150
        Guitar: Palm Bay Cyclone

http://www.myspace.com/kevparsons

Comment

yea kev, that does sound sick! nice tune!
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Kev
            As regards to rates, i think we did fairly well-

£15 per hour- which included everything, hell even got to play through a mesa dual rectifier

Samples of it- www.omissiononline.com
            JEEZUS!!! That´s fricking for free....... We paid significantly more...
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Yo, in regards to studio rates it does indeed vary, however you can usually find a good studio for about $40/50 an hour, but check for ones that offer cuts in price in booking day times. The studio I interned at this summer's rates were $60 / hour, but they made bigger cuts in rates with larger amounts of time booked. If your just starting up I see people posting things up about the Mbox.
              I am currently loaning an Mbox for my Tech. Of Audio V course, the things are cool and everything... However for the price, your better off buying a Presonus Firepod, I love Pro Tools and all BUT running programs like Cubase or Steinberg Nuendo it frees up way more processing power on a pc. I do use both PCs and Macs regularly; but undoubtedly its much more cost efficient to start out with a pc for recording for novice and intermediate users. If you want to go ProTools, also check out M-Audio's website, they have some pretty good stuff on they're and if your going legit, there is however a $300 fee for the M-Audio version of ProTools, yet another good program is Ableton Live, which Beck uses in the studio quite often.

Live long and prosper.
              - Testa
              -Testa

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/testa_music.htm

Gear:
              -Epiphone Riviera w/ Gibson PAF Re-issue pickups
              -Fender Stage 100 pre DSP and contour.
              -Epiphone practice amp
              -Zoom 606 Multieffects pedal

Home Recording:
              Soundblaster Audigy 2 w/ interface(Home)
              IK Multimedia Amplitube Software
              Native Instruments GuitarRig Software
              Steinberg Nuendo

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                ive got a few, even though i dont plan on going to one anytime soon...just personal knowledge...

how much does it cost? is it hourly rates? day rates? week rates? do the prices normally include the tapes (or hardrives)? rates include engineer?
                When I ran a commercial studio this same question arrived in my email about three times a week and even more often on the phone. I still get asked it but thankfully it's far less often now!

How much does it cost to go to a studio? Anywhere from $10 an hour to $1000 an hour and you're going to be paying more for experience, better room & equipment at a real studio.

Generally, the question that people SHOULD ask is "How much does it cost to make a record?" because it's FAR more relevent and usually that's what they want to do. In over 10 years I've never seen anyone book a day just to muck around and not make a CD or EP for release. And really, the truth is that by the time your done with the recording costs, album artwork, mastering & duplication at the most basic level to optional esoteric things like equipment rentals, catering, taxis & limos, hiring a hot-shot mix guy because the A&R mook at the label needs the name so the promoters will push it to MTV and the rest of the world or spending six months to a year on the thing PURELY because you can...

You could spend anywhere from $5K to $500K by the time the disc is actually 100% done and ready for sale. The first step is to define your goals and your budget because they're pretty closely related.

If the goal of recording is to demo up new songs & show 'em to the rest of the band or something simple and "non-critical" then you can totally use just about anything including that used $100 cassette 4-track you saw at the pawn shop. If the goal is a little more lofty, say you want to record a basic EP or CD for commercial release & have the intent of promoting your music to clubs & management types then about 80% of the time you're going to be better off going to a studio or hiring an engineer to relieve some of the pressure of doing it all yourself. Just like guitar players, drummers or anything else...all engineers/producers are not created equally and you should do some serious shopping around to find one that will work with you, not against you but that's a whole other rant for another time!

If the goal is ultra-lofty and you want to release a CD that hangs with the in-crowd and won't get blasted off the planet when it's played next to whatever’s on MTV/CMT/VH1 or commercial radio at the moment...then you pretty much need a producer/engineer type to at least help out & keep the ship away from the rocks if not plot the course. Besides if the record sucks and six months after it's done you hate it you'll have someone to blame!
                J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                mixer|producer|recordist
                mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Working...
                X