• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please listen and tell me if you hear it too

All,

Please listen to me playing guitar directly into mic jack:

SD.MP3

It sounds muddy and dark to me, but I'm not totally sure, and would like a second opinion. I set computer to no extra mic boost, 75% volume, and recorded directly from it with guitar volume and tone at max.

Robert
    My Music Page
    Originally posted by vinterland
    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Re: Please listen and tell me if you hear it too

It might sounds bad because you're supposed to plug a mic in there, not a guitar. Rock On!
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Yeah, recording directly may work but it sounds like ass, I posted up some clips that I recorded just to show that... SD thread

Comment

What they said. You either need to mic an amp, or get some kind of direct recording device that will emulate an amp or speaker. Some ideas:
        1) $30 Behringer GDI21. Cheap copy of a SansAmp G2, but it's better than nothing. No delay or reverb FX.
        2) $100 Behringer V-Amp2 or Zoom G2. Cheapest digital amp modelers out there, and not bad. Delay & reverb.
        3) $150 A real SansAmp G2. No delay or reverb FX.
        4) $200 and up - Various POD flavors, SansAmp PSA1, Vox ToneLab, etc.

Or, you can use small "headphone practice amps" like Korg's Pandora line or Zoom's PS-02. New models come out all the time, so eBay is loaded with cheaper older ones that can still do the job. These don't typically sound as good as bigger modelers, IMO.

There are also software programs & plugins that emulate guitar amps. I have no experience there, and IMO a piece of hardware is more flexible for practicing, etc.
        Last edited by Jester700; 12-18-2005, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-EJ915
          Yeah, recording directly may work but it sounds like ass, I posted up some clips that I recorded just to show that... SD thread
          Well the point wasn't to sound like krap or to make a record, but to ask a question as to how I sound. Me and a friend (that does this thing for the military) put my guitar together with the new pickups, and tested everything. But somehow my chord playing sounds muddy. I play a variety. It sounds muddy when plugged directly into anything. I'm starting to wonder if I should be emailing SD to see if I need different pickups, because I'm getting discouraged.
          My Music Page
          Originally posted by vinterland
          I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
          Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by neosadist
            All,

Please listen to me playing guitar directly into mic jack:

SD.MP3

It sounds muddy and dark to me, but I'm not totally sure, and would like a second opinion. I set computer to no extra mic boost, 75% volume, and recorded directly from it with guitar volume and tone at max.

Robert
            Of course its muddy and dark... there´s a huge impedance mismatch going on here, as well as a super-low output for that type of input.

Get a Compressor, mic preamp, modeling amp or similar buffer
            Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
            X