What technique or FX is being used her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What technique or FX is being used her

This question is about the beginning riff to this song.

** But very particularly, the strummed chord that ends each line. To my ears, that strummed chord has a unique attack to it, like either it was plucked by fingers, or hybrid techniqur, or there is a Compressor in use that delivers the right amount of squish. Does anyone else hear that last chord sounding like it has a different attack to it like i do? And know what FX or technique is needed to duplicate it?

For the other single notes in that riff, i am hearing a chorus effect in use, and have dialed in a matching chorus effect from my pedalboard.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Definitely compression.

Standard to put compression on clean guitar.

Isn't this an 80's tune? The clean tone, which is almost Rockman-like, and chorus screams 80's.

Comment

It is a compressed clean sound with what sounds like a Dimension pedal.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        Definitely compression.

Standard to put compression on clean guitar.

Isn't this an 80's tune? The clean tone, which is almost Rockman-like, and chorus screams 80's.
        Yep, it's from the late 80s.

Do you have any recommendations for settings of the Compression, Threshold, Attack and Release knobs that would get this tone?
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-10-2021, 04:35 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          It is a compressed clean sound with what sounds like a Dimension pedal.
          Do you think most other compressors could get this tone, or no, the Waza Dimension C is the only one that can do it? What makes the Dimension pedal different than other compressors?

[EDIT]: I just found this Anderton's writeup which seems to spell out the diff nicely: two vs just one delayed signals, plus no swirl/modulation.

The legendary Boss Dimension C Chorus is back with a Waza Craft Reissue. But what made the original so magical? Check out our article to find out more!

Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-10-2021, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The Dimension is a chorus-type pedal, although one that arrives at a chorus sound without a ton of modulation. It really is its own thing. As far as compressors go, it doesn't sound like a particular compressor. I'd think any compressor can make clean electric guitar sound like that.

Comment

Thanks.

So apparently only a Dimension C or one of the better copycats can get that sound.

Anyone familiar w the copycats? Any of them really sound close to the Dimension C?

These are the four identified in that Anderton's article:

Comment

Keep in mind that most Boss multi-effects, as well as the Line 6 M-series and HX Effects have Dimension models. It really needs to be in stereo to 'hear' it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Keep in mind that most Boss multi-effects, as well as the Line 6 M-series and HX Effects have Dimension models. It really needs to be in stereo to 'hear' it properly.
                  I have and use a BOSS MS3. Just checked it. It doesn't have any kind of effect in the Modulation list named like Dimension.

Comment

You might have to look at something a little later than an MS3. If you can set a chorus without a ton of out-of-tune wobbliness, then that would be close.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

You need a soft-knee compressor so the initial pluck gets through before the compressor clamps down on the after-ring sustain part of the sound.

You can simulate a Dimension C if the chorus has a mix and speed control. Minimize the speed to like a Leslie rotary speaker speed and back off the mix a bit and it should get into the territory.

Comment

Working...
                        X