Haas Effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haas Effect

Every once in a while you'll hear a mix that sounds out of this world, and that's often thanks to the Haas Effect. You'll listen, wondering how they achieved such width and depth in the mix. There must be some secret trick, right? You're correct, and today I'll explain to you exactly what it is and how to use it...

What is the Haas Effect?
    The Haas Effect is a binaural psychoacoustical effect that causes humans to hear two separate auditory events as a single sound when they are separated by a very short delay and are of similar volumes and wave forms.

Let's break that down. The word 'binaural' refers to how our two ears come together to help our brains perceive the location of a sound. In this case, sound localization occurs based on which of these two sounds we're referring to arrive at our ears first. This is why this effect is also called the law of the first wavefront.

To summarize, if two nearly identical sounds arrive at your ears within 5 milliseconds to 30 ms of each other and are within a 10 decibels volume range, you'll perceive them as one sound at the location of the wave form to arrive first.

The second sound still affects the perceived location, but not as you'd expect. Because it's still understood by our brains as one sound, you'll hear a widening of the sound across the stereo field although you can still pinpoint the exact location of where the sound is coming from.
    Various studies have since occurred, but here's the safe numbers you can work with to achieve this fusion of two separate sounds into one:
    • For short sounds like clicks: 1 ms to 5 ms
    • For longer & more complex sounds: 1 ms to 40 ms
    • Volume variation must stay within 10 dB to 15 dB

Short sounds would be instruments like a hi-hat or snare drum while longer sounds refer to complex waveforms with intricate timbre like vocals, piano, or guitar.
    Why Use the Haas Effect in Mixing?

The only reason to reach for this method when mixing is to increase the sense of width of one instrument and to increase depth in the whole mix. And you should only even consider it when you're working with an otherwise sparse mix that might be too boring without it (in my opinion), due to the dangers we'll mention below.

Width - Again, by using a short enough delay that your two panned copies of the same track sound like one track, you also get the "smearing" effect of reverb that causes the track to have a widened presence across the stereo field.

Because you only have one delay versus tons of them like reverb, you maintain all of the clarity of it being a single instance of playback. But because the width now stretches across the space you've decided with panning, it gives context to other instruments in that area.

Depth - Depth is usually created using a decaying reverb tail or by juxtaposing one track against another at various volume levels. The point is, you have to have something to compare a track against in order to create an experience of depth. Empty space in the stereo field can't provide this, but your widened track can.

These are the two reasons you'll use this effect, and you shouldn't reach for it unless you have to. If you can record in stereo or record two independent mono takes, then you should do that. Otherwise you run into the problems mentioned below.
    How to Use the Haas Method

To put this method into action, you'll take your boring mono track in a sparse mix and apply some very specific steps:
    1. Duplicate the mono track and pan both versions opposite of each other.
    2. Choose which side you want to be the location of the sound and add a delay to the other.
    3. Combat phase issues by detuning slightly with a pitch shifter.

That's how it's done. It sounds easy and is for the most part but let's break each step out into it's own explanation so it's absolutely clear what we intend on doing here.

Last edited by LLL; 05-19-2021, 08:31 PM.

Be careful there is a trojan on that page/site

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
      Be careful there is a trojan on that page/site

Interesting that it doesn't say which Trojan... which is highly unusual.

Also interesting that the file it references is the executable for the Google Chrome web browser (chrome.exe), and that it is found in the Google Chrome folder on the C:/ drive... versus the folder where you would expect a website cache file to be found. 10 bucks says you used Chrome to check it out.

Checking blacklist lists and it appears on only a couple lists (of many); this could be attributed to e-mail spam if anything.

Also, Google says:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Untitled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	6081706

I'd be willing to bet that Malwarebytes is calling it "bad" because it appears on only two blacklists... hence no actual Trojan name.

Some blacklists are actually scams where they add you and then demand $$$ to get off their list.

Anyways, I've quoted and pasted relevant info on the subject from the article.
      Last edited by LLL; 05-19-2021, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Whatever

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          Whatever
          Try reading the info and learn from it.

That's the point.

Comment

Understanding Haas is the key ingredient between having a mix that has actual stereo width and it being dual mono. It's also vital in sound design principles.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Just to make sure I understand it right: if I track a riff twice on two separate channels fairly tight, but not quantized-to-a-grid tight and pan them to slightly different places... Am I creating this Haas effect?

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                Just to make sure I understand it right: if I track a riff twice on two separate channels fairly tight, but not quantized-to-a-grid tight and pan them to slightly different places... Am I creating this Haas effect?
                Tracking a riff twice (I assume you mean playing the same thing twice, recording it twice) is generally called "manual doubling" (there is gear out there that will do "automatic" doubling) or just "doubling".

Then panning one track wide left and one track wide right is a cool thing; this is a very ubiquitous, old-school technique found on tons of albums for the rhythm guitar(s). The super-slight variances between tracks in pitch and/or timing bring a lot of liveliness.

For Haas effect - after that, pick one side (L or R), and add (for ex.) 30ms of delay if you're doing guitars. Both tracks should be exact or close in volume.
                Last edited by LLL; 05-24-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Used to run a guitar rig with two half stacks, a Carvin and a Randall, both being fed by an Alessis Quadraverb in front. Each amp was fed by one side of the Qiadraverb. I rand it with a stereo square wave chorus with one side having a 30ms delay on it. It sounded massive.

Comment

When I read that I heard Boston's 3rd album in my head..... all wide.
                    then my brain quickly snapped to Slayer, reign in blood mixed straight in between your eyes. Zero width.

I appreciate the info and have used it many times (without knowing it's proper term) it's fun to edit and acheive width, stereo ambience, and play around with it.

Certain songs would benefit from it, certain songs would not.
                    Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 05-25-2021, 10:48 AM.
                    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                      When I read that I heard Boston's 3rd album in my head..... all wide.
                      then my brain quickly snapped to Slayer, reign in blood mixed straight in between your eyes. Zero width.

I appreciate the info and have used it many times (without knowing it's proper term) it's fun to edit and acheive width, stereo ambience, and play around with it.

Certain songs would benefit from it, certain songs would not.
                      Gotta love stuff that tickles the ears.

Comment

If you want to try a Van Halen 1st album trick:

Take a mono guitar track, pan wide L

Buss that mono guitar track out to a plate reverb, but put a 100ms delay before it (or use the reverb's pre-delay if it has it).

Pan the reverb wide R

or

Have the reverb in stereo

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                          Haas effect is just delaying one channel. It widens the field but doesn’t sound like double tracking.

I always double track my guitars and hard pan left/right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X