Tone? Have to say I agree with a lot of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
    If someone asks me “how to get a tone like [x]”, I tell them they need similar gear.

If someone asks me “how to play like [x]”, I will tell them that they need to study that player’s phrasing, picking techniques, legato techniques, frequently used licks and scales, etc.

If someone asks me “how to sound like [x]”, I will tell them they need similar gear AND to study that player; would probably also point out that they will mostly likely never sound *exactly* like that player, and that they probably shouldn’t try.

What I won’t do is tell them that they can’t sound like [x], because tone is in the fingers. Which is a comment that appears frequently online, and is most unhelpful.

People do ask “how do I get the guitar tone from the first Van Halen album?” or “how do I get the tone from Metallica’s Black Album?”. Telling them that they can’t because “tone is in the fingers” is not helping them.

As a metaphor, it is poor, because metaphors generally offer a comparison that is unlikely to be genuinely true (“he was on fire last night”, “he was flying up and down the fretboard”), but (as mentioned) someone who is not a native English speaker (or someone using Google translate…) might not grasp that it’s a metaphor, as it is plausibly something that someone could mean literally. I see a lot of comments on YouTube by people that aren’t native English speakers (and a lot of videos posted in other languages).
    And yet there are numerous examples (see Ace's post earlier) of player's sounding like other player's using completely different equipment (..cuz fingers come first ..not gear)

On the other hand you have numerous examples of players that are obsessive about owning/buying every link in (say) EVH's tone chain & yet don't sound remotely like him when they start playing (cuz...you guessed it..fingers)

As far as 'tone is in the fingers' it's a valid and widely used metaphor & most people know what it means (and that it's a metaphor/not literal) ...personally I've never experienced any confusion w/ it...
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

And that's where we have disagreed from the start...

The player's role is a LARGE and significant one (not small). If he moved from a Marshall to a Mesa ..that will have a small (and not overly significant) effect on his tone. He will still be instantly recognizable as the player he is though ( as long as he's not one of those faceless/identitiyless metalcore guys w/ zero individuality who all play the same damn thing the same way through the same gear & go out of their way to be clones of each other...). Because of his feel/fingers (& not the planning commission who made the electricity that powers the gear)
      So “tone is in the fingers” except when it isn’t.

People exist outside of this thread, and those people are saying/ being told “tone is in the fingers” as if two people can never the same tone because they have different fingers.

Comment

So “tone is in the fingers” except when it isn’t.
        Yeah, that's exactly right as I've said multiple times in this thread..there are generic/faceless players like you have generic pup's, amps etc. there 's nothing about them that stands out from the crowd. Applies to players & gear ...

People exist outside of this thread, and those people are saying/ being told “tone is in the fingers” as if two people can never the same tone because they have different fingers.
        That's something I've never said. In fact I've said the opposite. Players can TO AN EXTENT be clones of each other by copying the other guy's licks/gear (I mentioned Joe stump/Yngwie in that context & said Stump does'nt sound like Yngwie because he has different FEEL/FINGERS/TOUCH, despite using the same gear & playing the same licks) but there are plenty of players around who sound a lot more like Yngwie, 'cause they more able to clone his FEEL as well ...sometimes using pretty different gear (which goes to show what comes first.. fingers or gear)

And here's a list of some of the gear Tony Iommi's used through the years...

https://www.groundguitar.com/tony-io...tars-and-gear/

How massive of a difference do you think all that ^^ made to his sound & who do you think he sounded just like right through it all
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-22-2021, 03:23 AM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Who do I think he sounds like? Like Tony Iommi.

What do I think his guitar tone sounds like? It varies according to what gear he’s using.

Do I think he has the same guitar tone on the recording of “Sweet Leaf” as he does on “Laughing Man (In The Devil Mask)”? Absolutely not.

If someone didn’t know Tony Iommi was playing guitar on both of those songs, would they recognise that the same guitarist played both songs? Probably not.

If someone heard another song in a similar style to “Laughing Man” played by a different guitarist, but using all of the same gear, recorded in the same place with the same people working on it, would they think that guitarist was the same guitarist who played on “Laughing Man”? Quite possibly.

Would someone think that the guitar tone on the song played by another guitarist on the same gear etc. was the same guitar tone as the guitar tone on “Laughing Man”? Probably.

Would someone say the the guitar tone on the new song and “Laughing Man” were more alike than the guitar tones on “Sweet Leaf” and “Laughing Man”? I can’t see how they wouldn’t.

To repeat the definition:

Definition of tone

1: vocal or musical sound of a specific quality especially: musical sound with respect to timbre and manner of expression.

Comment

If someone wants to get the tone of the first few power chords of “Sad But True” to record an original song, what would you tell them?

If someone wants to get the guitar tone of the “Cherub Rock” solo for a solo they’re working on for an original song, what would you tell them?

In both cases, the original works are completely different styles, they just want the tones.

Comment

Who do I think he sounds like? Like Tony Iommi.

What do I think his guitar tone sounds like? It varies according to what gear he’s using.

Do I think he has the same guitar tone on the recording of “Sweet Leaf” as he does on “Laughing Man (In The Devil Mask)”? Absolutely not.

If someone didn’t know Tony Iommi was playing guitar on both of those songs, would they recognise that the same guitarist played both songs? Probably not.

If someone heard another song in a similar style to “Laughing Man” played by a different guitarist, but using all of the same gear, recorded in the same place with the same people working on it, would they think that guitarist was the same guitarist who played on “Laughing Man”? Quite possibly.

Would someone think that the guitar tone on the song played by another guitarist on the same gear etc. was the same guitar tone as the guitar tone on “Laughing Man”? Probably.

Would someone say the the guitar tone on the new song and “Laughing Man” were more alike than the guitar tones on “Sweet Leaf” and “Laughing Man”? I can’t see how they wouldn’t.

To repeat the definition:

Definition of tone

1: vocal or musical sound of a specific quality especially: musical sound with respect to timbre and manner of expression.

Yeah..sure an updated/moderized version that still sounds 100% like Tony Iommi who is one of the most instantly recognizable players on the planet (no thanks to his gear)

sweet leaf was what 40+ years earlier and probably has 1/4 the gain he now uses... it's not like players themselves don't change in 40 years (don't forget that variable). Compare him with an SG vs an Ironbird/Washburn in the 80's. (did'nt even know he owned an Ironbird/Washburn back then..it sure was'nt "obvious")

And here Yngwie plays a Gibson V..and sounds just like...Yngwie!

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 10-22-2021, 04:23 AM.

Youtube

Comment

If someone wants to get the tone of the first few power chords of “Sad But True” to record an original song, what would you tell them?

If someone wants to get the guitar tone of the “Cherub Rock” solo for a solo they’re working on for an original song, what would you tell them?

In both cases, the original works are completely different styles, they just want the tones.
                As a gigging player I have heard some pretty sad sounding "Sad but true" versions played through Mesa MkII's/III's/IV's w/ Esp guitars...so I'd probably tell him to practice, practice, practice

Cannon rock I have no idea about what gear was used....nice tune though

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

As a gigging player I have heard some pretty sad sounding "Sad but true" versions played through Mesa MkII's/III's/IV's w/ Esp guitars...so I'd probably tell him to practice, practice, practice

Cannon rock I have no idea about what gear was used....nice tune though
                  So, even though they don’t want to play “Sad But True”, they just want the tone, you’d tell them to practice rather than give them gear advice? Even though they might be an amazing guitarist with no clue about gear?

You would say that “the specific quality of the sound” that Tony Iommi plays “with respect to timbre and manner of expression” has stayed the same throughout his career then?

Comment

So, even though they don’t want to play “Sad But True”, they just want the tone, you’d tell them to practice rather than give them gear advice? Even though they might be an amazing guitarist with no clue about gear?
                    The guy's I mentioned hearing cover Sad but true had all the gear down pat, so I approached the remaining variable..the one that was actually making all the difference ..fingers (hence the advice to practice)

You would say that “the specific quality of the sound” that Tony Iommi plays “with respect to timbre and manner of expression” has stayed the same throughout his career then?
                    I've never had the slightest problem recognizing Tony Iommi at every stage of his career & that's the truth.

Youtube

Comment

• I see you are deliberately not answering my questions now.

Comment

• Knock it off, please.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

• Personally, I've said all I have to say & we've all just been going around in circles/repeating ourselves for quite a while now w/o adding anything new to what's already been said umpteen times before....so yeah, I'm knocking it off from sheer boredom

Youtube

Comment

• When someone obviously ignores my points and refuses to answer a simple yes or no to a question, I’m pretty sure that means they see they’re wrong but won’t admit it. I’m happy to end it there.

I might make a Tony Iommi challenge though, clips of his playing at every stage of his career mixed with other people playing. Probably just clips of G powerchords. Seeing who could pick out which ones were him would be entertaining.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                              When someone obviously ignores my points and refuses to answer a simple yes or no to a question, I’m pretty sure that means they see they’re wrong but won’t admit it. I’m happy to end it there.

I might make a Tony Iommi challenge though, clips of his playing at every stage of his career mixed with other people playing. Probably just clips of G powerchords. Seeing who could pick out which ones were him would be entertaining.
                              You think that a G powerchord is indicative of the bulk of Tony Iommi's playing?
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

You think that a G powerchord is indicative of the bulk of Tony Iommi's playing?
                                No. But surely someone who has “never had the slightest problem recognising Tony Iommi at every stage of his career” can pick out a G powerchord played by Tony Iommi from a bunch of G powerchords played by other people? I was assuming that meant Tony Iommi’s tone, rather than a picture or something.

A G powerchord is a musical sound, and tone is the quality of a musical sound with regard to timbre and expression. I would have gone for a riff, but a riff is made up of many musical sounds.

Comment

Working...
                                X