Rocket Man Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket Man Cover

I recently got my first condenser microphone, so recorded this quickly to see how it worked out. Just my Taylor Academy 12e and my dulcet tones!

​​​​​​https://soundcloud.com/steve-bees/ro...1df82fe8e206c1

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Sounds good. Were you back from the vocal mic? Sounds pretty even on the vocals but not compressed and I can hear some of the room sound. (By comparison, the acoustic sounds very near, up front, maybe with some compression). What mic is the condenser?

Comment

What was the recording path or did you 2 track this? If it was a "one mic" shot - nicely done!

Played this in a duo not too long ago with 6 and 12string - My favorite Elton song.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Sounds good! Only 1 track?
        Last edited by Clint 55; 10-22-2021, 10:10 PM.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Although I've played and sung this song before, I played the guitar first to a click. Not something I'm used to doing and you can hear my timing is off in places. The first time I recorded the vocal, I had the gain on my interface up too much and so it clipped horribly, and I probably overcompensated on take 2 which accounts for the difference between guitar and vocal. I also don't bother with headphones when recording, whereas I did for both this time. That's another experience I need to get used to! The mic is an AKG P120. Definitely a difference performance technique recording with a condenser compared to a dynamic, but pretty pleased with a first attempt.

Comment

I'm using a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 2 interface into Studio One Artist.

Comment

I have been inspired. As for the click - meh. Solo, let it breathe, ebb, and flow...

Comment

Nice singing and playing! I find it's much harder to record guitar and singing separately than both together.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

why harder to do them separately?

recording sounded good!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    why harder to do them separately?

recording sounded good!
                    For some reason, I sing in tune better while playing guitar. Not sure why, I think it's something about how I feel the music better. Could also be that headphones throw everything off a bit.
                    Last edited by GuitarStv; 10-27-2021, 12:58 PM.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

For some reason, I sing in tune better while playing guitar. Not sure why, I think it's something about how I feel the music better. Could also be that headphones throw everything off a bit.
                      I had our singer tell me that too when doing an acoustic tune.

Comment

interesting. ive never noticed a difference but dont do it very often, maybe i need to pay more attention and try it both ways

Comment

It's the first time I've managed to get an acceptable vocal performance wearing headphones. I usually play electric live, so i'm used to being 'in' the music when I play and sing. Acoustic playing and singing is still a steep learning curve for me, so stripping things down for a recording like this was a big challenge, but I'm pleased with how it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                          X