Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Is Ed Playing

...right about the time VH1 came out

Ted Templeman produced both albums, and decided to "borrow" Ed for this track.

Man, they were really trying so hard for that Carol King Tapestry money weren't they?

Fun Fact -she dated Weird Al in the 80s.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

There's a somewhat "You Really Got Me"-esque (pop music lite version) outro solo at the end.

Comment

She sang backup on Could This Be Magic from Women and Children First.

Comment

That was pretty disappointing, actually. Eddie for sure, but it has nothing to do with the song – it is a breakdown solo that comes out of nowhere, and hence feels unjustified. I'd much rather seen him take a more melodic approach.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            ...right about the time VH1 came out

Ted Templeman produced both albums, and decided to "borrow" Ed for this track.
            This would have been a mega hit in 1972 to 1976 but it was just too late being released in the fall of 78 -where the Yacht, Smooth, and jam band stuff wasnt front and center as much.

If you listen to what Eddie's playing -it's clear that Ted asked him to give this Waddy Wachtel treatment.

It's note for note Waddy's style -I mean uncanny (except the guitar tone)

LLL is an expert on this kind of stuff -what do you think LLL?
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

This would have been a mega hit in 1972 to 1976 but it was just too late being released in the fall of 78 -where the Yacht, Smooth, and jam band stuff wasnt front and center as much.

If you listen to what Eddie's playing -it's clear that Ted asked him to give this Waddy Wachtel treatment.

It's note for note Waddy's style -I mean uncanny (except the guitar tone)

LLL is an expert on this kind of stuff -what do you think LLL?
              I'm no expert, but I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Very familiar with Waddy and in fact a huge fan of his simple yet tasty playing, plus tone.... on those old Steve Nicks albums.

But yeah there is definitely "Ed" in those notes as well...

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post

I'm no expert, but I'd say that's a fair assessment.

Very familiar with Waddy and in fact a huge fan of his simple yet tasty playing, plus tone.... on those old Steve Nicks albums.

But yeah there is definitely "Ed" in those notes as well...
                The licks in the song sound straight off Waddy's work with Warren Zevon especially to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  That was pretty disappointing, actually. Eddie for sure, but it has nothing to do with the song – it is a breakdown solo that comes out of nowhere, and hence feels unjustified. I'd much rather seen him take a more melodic approach.
                  I think his rhythm playing in the song is spot on and very restrained sounding. There's nothing there that really sounds out of place. The solo is pretty off the cuff and doesn't fit the normal studio musician formulaic solo where they basically play the melody.

Comment

Working...
                  X