banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whelp, I recorded an original tune with vocals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I have very mixed feelings about this comment. :P
    Long drives are tough sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Long drives are tough sometimes.
      That unhealthy predilection is borderline grounds for divorce.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Do you have suggestions for the drums? Mix levels issue, or problems with the actual rhythm programming?
        I'd bring snare, toms and cymbals forward. Snare could use more body and crack.
        Seems to be enough kick but it lacks presence. More tick in the attack and some snap in the upper mids would probably help.
        This isn't a beat-driven tune, so I think simple parts are okay for a demo.
        Not really enough of a drummer to advise you specifically about fills or beats.
        But it's often true that less is more.

One thing with doing-it-all recording is that it requires learning to shift your focus.
        It's all to easy to become fixated on the guitars.
        Sometimes you need to think like a drummer, or a bassist.
        Other times you really need a producer's perspective, the big picture.

One thing that's helped me when stuck for vocal melodies is to step back and kind of reset my head.
        To let a tune rest for a while and come back with a new perspective, approaching it as a singer.
        Treat everything else as background - don't think about guitar tone, don't balance the drums. Just sing.
        Run the verses again and again, experimenting with melody - and timing.
        You're not burning money on studio time; that's an incredible advantage.
        Try it a lot of different ways. Record a few variants for listening later.
        And do it over the course of a couple days if you can.

Inspiration doesn't always strike in the studio and occasionally great ideas come out in everyday life.
        There have been periods in my life when I had to work ordinary non-music-related jobs.
        Before cellphones, I always tried to keep a notebook handy to jot those ideas down.

Often after a session's over, an hour or two later I'll find myself unconsciously humming a new part.
        Some of my best inspirations have come spontaneously out of the subconscious, rather from forcing the mind.
        Not saying it doesn't require dedicated effort, of course; you have to work hard at it.
        Just that sometimes really good ideas arrive effortlessly.

I've experienced a similar phenomenon with guitar. Occasionally I'll surprise myself by playing parts I never imagined.
        Surely not coming just from brain & hands. Is it my creative mind, working behind the scenes? or the collective unconscious?

Sometimes - in great interaction with other good players - there's an entirely different flavor to the creativity.
        As if the music is coming through from somewhere else, rather than out of me. Almost metaphysical, like channeling.
        Those are really good moments.

Well, I started a post about process and wound up waxing philosophical about creativity and the flow experience.
        I never really know where writing will take me.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

That unhealthy predilection is borderline grounds for divorce.
          Nah. . . I can tune it out or she'll put her ear buds in.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            I'd bring snare, toms and cymbals forward. Snare could use more body and crack.
            Seems to be enough kick but it lacks presence. More tick in the attack and some snap in the upper mids would probably help.
            This isn't a beat-driven tune, so I think simple parts are okay for a demo.
            Not really enough of a drummer to advise you specifically about fills or beats.
            But it's often true that less is more.

One thing with doing-it-all recording is that it requires learning to shift your focus.
            It's all to easy to become fixated on the guitars.
            Sometimes you need to think like a drummer, or a bassist.
            Other times you really need a producer's perspective, the big picture.

One thing that's helped me when stuck for vocal melodies is to step back and kind of reset my head.
            To let a tune rest for a while and come back with a new perspective, approaching it as a singer.
            Treat everything else as background - don't think about guitar tone, don't balance the drums. Just sing.
            Run the verses again and again, experimenting with melody - and timing.
            You're not burning money on studio time; that's an incredible advantage.
            Try it a lot of different ways. Record a few variants for listening later.
            And do it over the course of a couple days if you can.

Inspiration doesn't always strike in the studio and occasionally great ideas come out in everyday life.
            There have been periods in my life when I had to work ordinary non-music-related jobs.
            Before cellphones, I always tried to keep a notebook handy to jot those ideas down.

Often after a session's over, an hour or two later I'll find myself unconsciously humming a new part.
            Some of my best inspirations have come spontaneously out of the subconscious, rather from forcing the mind.
            Not saying it doesn't require dedicated effort, of course; you have to work hard at it.
            Just that sometimes really good ideas arrive effortlessly.

I've experienced a similar phenomenon with guitar. Occasionally I'll surprise myself by playing parts I never imagined.
            Surely not coming just from brain & hands. Is it my creative mind, working behind the scenes? or the collective unconscious?

Sometimes - in great interaction with other good players - there's an entirely different flavor to the creativity.
            As if the music is coming through from somewhere else, rather than out of me. Almost metaphysical, like channeling.
            Those are really good moments.

Well, I started a post about process and wound up waxing philosophical about creativity and the flow experience.
            I never really know where writing will take me.
            Thanks! Seems like good advice. I'll definitely try to put some of it into practice on my next song.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Very nice. I like your voice and the guitar tones. Sounds a bit retro 70s to me... which is cool for me cuz I'm old. And remember, the audience is full of "experts"
              https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

My gf likes your song very much. Let me tell you, she's hard to please too. But she does like a couple nickleback tunes so. . ....
                Ouch, that was cruel!

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Ouch, that was cruel!
                  Hahaha it honestly wasn't meant to disparage the song, I really love it and so does she. She mentioned how she likes the lyrics last night.

Comment

Hahaha it honestly wasn't meant to disparage the song, I really love it and so does she. She mentioned how she likes the lyrics last night.
                    Still, it was very cleverly designed, highfive!

Comment

Good stuff Steve!

Comment

I like it. The only thing I would do to it is maybe turn the bass down a tad and turn the drums up a little bit, but those are just my personal preferences. Don't sell yourself short on your voice.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                          Good stuff Steve!
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          I like it. The only thing I would do to it is maybe turn the bass down a tad and turn the drums up a little bit, but those are just my personal preferences. Don't sell yourself short on your voice.
                          Yeah, I'm hearing what you're taking about with the drums. I think that I need to take more breaks when mixing stuff, perception of balance between tracks seems to go out the window after too long listening to the same thing over and over.

Comment

I think that I need to take more breaks when mixing stuff, perception of balance between tracks seems to go out the window after too long listening to the same thing over and over.
                            Ear fatigue is a very real phenomenon. It helps to listen through different speakers (or in a home situation, go back & forth between speakers and headphones). Pro studios always have at least two sets of monitors, some have more.

Mixing takes time and concentration; it's easy to forget to take breaks every once in a while.

Sometimes people think they've got a great mix done, but on listening the next day it's far from good.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Turned out well. Good job.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the comments!

Comment

Working...
                                X