banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording on PC, or (Tascam) hardware recorder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording on PC, or (Tascam) hardware recorder?

So,

My *cencored, older family member* calls me, and starts a heated debate- where he tutors me- and wants me to listen to his 20minute rants (6th time) about-

-how he bought a Line6 USB sound card; couldn't get it working- hassled with lisencing codes;
    then got a Tascam hardware recorder; and thinks it's "the shizzle".

He's still using his PC and Line6 card for all his guitar tracks, and more.

Now; I'm on a 6 year old, rather specced HP computer- now with a fresh 500GB SSD drive, and Win10 Professional. I'm one Steinberger soundcard away from recording, producing etc. with my computer. (I think?! Not according to "him").

But *older family member* says;

"that if I don't get a Tascam like him,. Then it's because I have (S*AT, he said) upon him, and plain reality; common sense: because; a computer -based setup would never work. And if I bought a sound card; it would be like pissing on his gravestone".

:/

I remember my last two PC based setups to be very reliable; and Windows 10 pro too- aslong as it gets to do its upgrades.

I don't have 500USD to buy a Tascam interface, - and I prefer the PC route anyway.

Have any of you guys, ever had so much trouble with PC based music production- that you chose to use a hardware unit instead?!

Sorry, but said family member (renowned classical guitarist, painter, ....artist....) gets me worked up sometimes .

thanks

-Erl
    Last edited by Erlend_G; 03-26-2022, 09:00 AM.
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

The last sensible sentence I heard; was "Call me back when you have produced some music. Nothing you have done at all, has ever contributed to you producing anything. "

So. Well. I'm going for a Steinberger UR22C card, "value pack" with drum machine and stuff-

a good 8-16 track Tascam hardware recorder would be /great/, but- money doesn't grow on trees. Also; there's something called personal preference. And schizophrenia; that I'm 99% sure my artist colleguae is suffering from. Peace.

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

"Gently" remind him that all of the big studios use Pro Tools nowadays.

You get a DAW and an interface for your computer, you're good.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        "Gently" remind him that all of the big studios use Pro Tools nowadays.

You get a DAW and an interface for your computer, you're good.
        ...tickling the dragons tail? ... hehe. I think I'll just have to stay away from him; until things have "come into a balanced state".

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

...tickling the dragons tail? ... hehe. I think I'll just have to stay away from him; until things have "come into a balanced state".

Aw **** him. Be your own Viking.

Comment

I always trust my inution,

it's like I have an eye- that will look 2 months+ into the future; and tell me the outcome.

Running a Steinberger UR22C setup, would be like.-. liquid lightning .

All I want and "need" now, is a hardware pedal compressor.

-Erlend

Comment

he bought a Line6 USB sound card; couldn't get it working- hassled with lisencing codes;
              then got a Tascam hardware recorder; and thinks it's "the shizzle".

He's still using his PC and Line6 card for all his guitar tracks, and more.
              So he says he couldn't get it to work, but that's what he's using??

If the DAW you are using has it's own dedicated card as the I/O, you shouldn't have any problems.

Line6 and Steinberg are two totally different animals.
              Line6 added I/O solutions late in the game as a "me too" offering to stay competitive; it's not their primary business.
              Steinberg started it's life as a DAW company.

Comment

He's using an older, originally Win2000 PC, now with Win..XP. He told me to "if, to ever use a PC for music; NEVER get it online. Because the updates!! -are made to make things stop working; so that they can earn more money". and on , and on, and on... :/.

Please let this guy be excused ; he's an artist and quite stressed out.

The question is; Is this situation running a PC and USB Interface so bad?! I can't imagine it to be. But when I try to express this to "him"; he goes banana-cocos x4000.

I've recently installed a fresh, legal Win10Pro on my own computer. All updates are done;
                ; I can understand that a sound card might need to be verified on a lisence. But so what? As long as it works... (colleguae said it was a living hell, getting his setup working).

Comment

Everybody an their mother uses pc/laptop and an audio interface connected via usb. No idea what your relative is talking about, but he' s wrong. I told you before: I have a laptop, a Focustite via USB, a midi keyboard via USB running Cubase. I couldn't load enough plugin thus far to get it to lag or drop out. Neural DSP, EZ mix, EZ drummer, EZ keys... Younname it, I have it. Absolutely no problem. You told me you liked the HeXeN cover I recorded.... That was laptop and Focustite via USB....

Comment

He's using an older, originally Win2000 PC, now with Win..XP. He told me to "if, to ever use a PC for music; NEVER get it online. Because the updates!! -are made to make things stop working; so that they can earn more money". and on , and on, and on... :/.

Please let this guy be excused ; he's an artist and quite stressed out.

The question is; Is this situation running a PC and USB Interface so bad?! I can't imagine it to be. But when I try to express this to "him"; he goes banana-cocos x4000.

I've recently installed a fresh, legal Win10Pro on my own computer. All updates are done;
                    ; I can understand that a sound card might need to be verified on a lisence. But so what? As long as it works... (colleguae said it was a living hell, getting his setup working).

Windows XP? That OS came out 21 years ago (2001)!

"Mainstream support for Windows XP ended on April 14, 2009, and extended support ended on April 8, 2014"

I wouldn't take any computer recording advice from someone who uses a 21 year old operating system.

Sounds like a blow-hard. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blowhard

Comment

I used all kinds of outdated/antiquated gear to record with for years (Zoom Mrs 1044 standalone recorder, handheld recorders of various types, even my loop pedal) just because the thought of recording on my PC freaked me out. But once I got myself Reaper & Ozone and got over my bias against comp recording (which I also thought of as kinda 'nerdy/dorky'). The difference in recording quality was night and day.
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thanks for all the answers.

So, here's what I will do. Next month I'm turning 32; and also I'm broke until then. But-

I will order a Steinberg UR22C, or similar spec Behringer card- and while at it; ask for a return option if it absolutely does not! work. Then, I won't have much to lose.

If I "HAVE" to record today; I got an old Zoom 4-track , and a first gen. Boss Micro BR. The Zoom is nice, but it needs more SmartMedia cards, of the old kind that's almost as wide/long as a matchbox. The one that came with it is only 128mb, and the format is...old .

....Then, I'll install the eventual software that comes with the card; or run Audacity (works fine for my needs, I think).

Thing is; no matter if it will work or not. The "silverback" will still accuse me; of buying a PC card instead of taking loans for a Tascam. I just hope he gets to chill out, before our planned recording event this summer :/.

I used to love playing music with, discussing and partying with this man. But the last years, he's become more and more neurotic; and accuses me of things- like going behind his back, not respecting him, not listening etc. Not to put anyone out here naked, but- I think it might be because he had so many negative experiences with other, respectless people.

\m/

Peace out & rock on,

-Erlend

Comment

Working...
                        X