A new routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new routine

After taking some time off from guitar, my right arm's picking technique really go thrown off. I really don't have a lot of energy to practice/play as much as i used to and there are some licks my arm just does not want to shred cleanly.

Finally i found a way to really create a burn in my right arm and it's really helping so i thought i'd share and see if anyone here does similar.

I set my metronome to a SLOW 40bpm and only change notes on each click (not 16th notes as i had been).

The result is a quality workout burn in under 5 min. The type of burn i otherwise only get after putting in serious time.

This approach is working for me right now, considering i have 4 etudes i'm trying to master. Spent months memorizing them. After trying to do some fast/clean chops for weeks now and hitting a wall i decided to shift my approach.

Anyone here do similar? It's tedious, it's boring... but me, it's WORKING!

It's something I had heard, but never really understood for a long time . . . playing slower makes you play faster. But only if you're playing slower perfectly (and relaxed). I spent way too many years practicing on the raggedy edge all tense and never getting better. Whenever I hit a wall for speed now, I just slow it way down, play for a while, and then try it again the next day. Always seems to improve that way.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I always practice slowly with a metronome. It allows you to focus on technique more myopically. I was taught the rule of thumb to start slow, once you play something cleanly, without flaws 3x. Increase the speed of the metronome and start over, 3X, increase the speed...

Comment

Btw i'm sorry to the typeo's i've made (and will probably continue to make). Tried editing it but I get an error.

Yeah, man. I know it's become cliche but chipping at it slow as hell seems to be baking the doughnut before.

Obviously, at some point i practiced slow before getting fast but really my approach had turned it "go ahead, keep grinding fast, it will come together eventually" and really that way can work too. I find the slow grind potentially saves a lot of work.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          It's something I had heard, but never really understood for a long time . . . playing slower makes you play faster. But only if you're playing slower perfectly (and relaxed). I spent way too many years practicing on the raggedy edge all tense and never getting better. Whenever I hit a wall for speed now, I just slow it way down, play for a while, and then try it again the next day. Always seems to improve that way.
          The guitar equivalent of MTB cycling's better braking allows you to ride faster?

Anyhow, I am going to try this out!
          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

It's like choreographing a ballet. If every muscle movement is orchestrated slowly first, then it can be done more rapidly at tempo with precision.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
              It's like choreographing a ballet. If every muscle movement is orchestrated slowly first, then it can be done more rapidly at tempo with precision.
              ...or Tai Chi

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

...or Tai Chi
                Kettlebell.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Switch to keys.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

No doubt that gets your timing together, too. The type of exercise also depends on the type of picking. Economy picking would be different than strict alternate picking, I'd guess, too. I use slow tempos to practice picking in 5s or 7s.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Kettlebell.
                      I ... haven't seen kettlebell as graceful as a ballet or tai chi, but I'll keep an open mind.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I ... haven't seen kettlebell as graceful as a ballet or tai chi, but I'll keep an open mind.

Wow, this is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Wow, this is impressive.

Hey the thread is called 'A new routine'. Just thought I'd help out.

Comment

Move the entire arm, not your wrist. It's the secret to play fast. I learned it from Michael Angelo Batio.

Comment

Well I guess my way of going about things is as usual the opposite of everyone else's

I move only my wrist and I never play anything slow if I can play it fast..

What I've noticed is that if I give things a break for a day or two or even a few weeks I come back sloppy & that's inevitable, but after I've done playing to a couple of backing tracks (never use/or owned a metronome.. cuz they're boring and monotonous) things return to normal (fast and clean) automatically.

Playing along to an actual song/backing track with all it's myriad changes & nuances (even better if it's a real drummer) is not only way "better" (more effective) as far as practice goes for me but also less boring & more fun
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X