EVH 1st Album Tone FINAL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVH 1st Album Tone FINAL

As close as I can get without using Ed's actual guitar gear and Sunset Sound Recorder's studio gear... or driving myself insane.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 here. It's the one for the strat at least.

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (no flanger)

I'm The One (bits)

...and no variacs were harmed (or used) during recording. I stopped using my variac setup (ran at 100v) about 3 years ago.

Comment

That is indeed shockingly close. You have the saggy/chewy thing down pat as well
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

That's closer than what I hear most tribute bands getting these days.

Comment

Fun tones and great playing

Comment

That's awesome.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              As close as I can get without using Ed's actual guitar gear and Sunset Sound Recorder's studio gear... or driving myself insane.

Seymour Duncan SH-5 here. It's the one for the strat at least.

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (no flanger)

I'm The One (bits)
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Very good work indeed.
                https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
                  Hilarious

O'Doyle may rulez, but DLR rulez more.

Comment

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I have been convinced for years that a Dimarzio Super Distortion or something very similar was used on VH1. The Destroyer at a minimum had one IMO. The SD Custom is extremely close. He always said the Frankie had a Gibson PAF. Its bright enough, and with the push of the EP-3 preamp very well could be the case.

Later on when he talks about a Super distortion with a PAF magnet, that sounds more like VH2 / WACF / Fair Warning era. A Dimarzio Super D with an A2 mag gets us very close to the Custom Custom / Frankenstein pickups.

Diver Down / 1984 gets us into the Kramer Guitars. Ed claimed for a time at least that the 5150 Kramer had a 59 in it. We now know that it had a JB in it later in life at least. I suspect it started with a 59 and later had a JB which led them down the path of hotter pickups as he got into the EB / PV / EVH years.

I know that at one time I had a PV EXP with Pearly Gates pickups that did a stunning early VH tone. I suspect that the 78 and the PG are danger close in over all spec.

Comment

Working...
                      X