How can I improve this recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I improve this recording?

Upgraded my Seagull S6 with an LR Baggs Anthem and really loving the sound of it. I'm recording through a Behringer MIC500USB valve preampdirectly to Audacity. However I know bugger all about recording and I'm not sure where to start.

The MIC500USB is set to gain +43dB, output +4dB, preamp mode acoustic guitar, no other settings. Audacity is just default settings. The LR Baggs is set to probably 70% Piezo/30% microphone.

Any tips particularly to make it sound 'roomier' appreciated.

This track is not available anymore.

It’s either been deleted or made private by the creator.

Comment

My bad - link is fixed now

Comment

It sounds fine to me. I guess if you wanted it to sound roomier you could add a touch of reverb to it. You could also double track it and pan it hard left and hard right to make it bigger. You could also add just a touch of chorus at about 10% as well.

Comment

I agree with Jolly. Sounds great.

So, here are some suggestions, but again, just my preferences, mores than anything "needed"

1. The highs sounds a little 'brittle to me
          - maybe roll off a touch of the highest frequencies
          - Jolly's chorus suggestion might bee cool too; Not too much, and stereo - left-right

2. The bass notes sound a little distorted, and a little loose. They could be a bit more even volume wise.
          - Maybe a compressor on there? Is there one?
          - Maybe track them separately

3. Definitely a little dry. I'd put some reverb on - but again, not too much.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks both, I'll have another play around.

Comment

I use Engl Cabloader (IR Loader) to get a more woodier and roomier (mic distance) feeling.
              I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by spleenharvester View Post
                Upgraded my Seagull S6 with an LR Baggs Anthem and really loving the sound of it. I'm recording through a Behringer MIC500USB valve preampdirectly to Audacity. However I know bugger all about recording and I'm not sure where to start.

The MIC500USB is set to gain +43dB, output +4dB, preamp mode acoustic guitar, no other settings. Audacity is just default settings. The LR Baggs is set to probably 70% Piezo/30% microphone.

Any tips particularly to make it sound 'roomier' appreciated.
                I would change nothing. It sounds great, very alive and very present. Maybe scoop out some mid/low mid frequencies but really it sounds awesome. Definitely not a dry sound, has just enough roominess. Dig it.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Very nice balanced acoustic tone that would work well in context. I don't hear brittleness in the highs, but I definitely hear a touch of distortion, like your input is being driven a bit, so maybe back off the gain of the preamp a bit and then bring the level back up in Audacity.
                  Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                  Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                  Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                  Marshall 1960a
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Sounds decent for an acoustic pickup . . . but it does have a strong piezo flavour. Not bad, but my preference is typically to get as close to the same sound on the recording as you hear from the guitar in the room.

For this I've found it's easiest to use two mics. I use an LDC (Rode K2) up over the right shoulder of the guitarist as he's playing to try to catch what he's hearing and an SDC (SM81) about a foot away, pointed towards the 12th fret of the guitar. Solo each track, and EQ/Compress them lightly to try to bring out the attributes you most want to hear in the track. Then pan one signal 75% right and the other 75% left. You should have a very lush, true to the instrument sound.

Acoustic pickups are a way to get OK sound for live situations without the hassle of micing - but a half decent acoustic will sound best through a microphone (in my opinion anyway).
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Stuff I hear:
                      The lowest notes seem to stand out a bit on those chords, maybe reduce the low end a bit with an EQ. I'd also consider parallel compression to tame it a bit without losing all of the dynamics.

What you asked about:
                      To make it sound "roomier", reverb is definitely the most common way to get there. You could also copy the track and delay it by a few ms with one panned right and one to the left. Recording a second track and panning them left and right would also be an option. Using a mic to record the second track would also provide an additional tone to work with and could provide interesting results. Next time, you might also want to consider using a room microphone in addition to the line out of your guitar. That may help provide some natural roominess without having to turn to plugins, though it seems everyone is trying to record in dead rooms and add everything in the box now.

Comment

I wouldn't push to +4db. Since it's raw uncompressed acoustic, I'd bring it in lower so you have headroom for detailed spikes in the sound and can treat it later.

For 'roomy' sound, you'd need a room mic added in (placed at the opposite wall, right up against it so you aren't getting secondary reflections off that opposite wall), or just use in-the-box reverb.

Comment

Eventide has a lot of tools to add depth and space. Check out Eventide Physion Mk II there is a 30-day fully functional demo you can play around with.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            I wouldn't push to +4db. Since it's raw uncompressed acoustic, I'd bring it in lower so you have headroom for detailed spikes in the sound and can treat it later.

For 'roomy' sound, you'd need a room mic added in (placed at the opposite wall, right up against it so you aren't getting secondary reflections off that opposite wall), or just use in-the-box reverb.
                            Like a dynamic close mic paired with a condenser, up, as you say, against the back wall?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X