Bass fingerpicking technique question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass fingerpicking technique question

How do you typically move down fingerpicking bass?

Do you always start the line with index and follow with middle, or do you sometimes going down play it "backwards", following ring finger with middle then index.

I've noticed I seem to do that on down moving lines, and they are definitely more difficult to play.

Meaning, do I just need more practice with that, or is that a bad habit I should learn out off.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

For all instruments, there's usually never anything wrong with the rule of finding the fingering that is the best mix of being efficient and ergonomic. If you always balance those 2 things you don't have to worry about it being against the rules. So what fingering would get the most milage and also be reasonable to easy to play. If it's physically too difficult to do you can toss out the fingering, or if it's obviously inefficient you can toss it out.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Hadn't thought about it much but when using two fingers (which is much of the time for me), I think I often begin with the middle finger.
      Same thing with tapping my fingertips on a table top - try it both ways and see which feels more natural for you.
      I don't think there's a hard & fast rule. But I could be wrong about that.

I sorta remember when playing upright bass decades ago I sometimes used both together like one big finger.
      But I don't ever do that with bass guitar. At least I don't think so.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

What you’re doing is fine. There is nothing wrong with starting on the one with your ring finger, two the middle finger, three the index finger. There is a video on YouTube from Billy Sheehan where he goes over three finger technique. I play mostly with two fingers, and I usually start out one on the middle finger. If I’m doing three finger technique it’s one on the ring finger.

Comment

I started using one finger way back in '77 maybe? Gradually used more as my skills improved. Then I started slapping with my thumb, and that's when things got interesting. Now I use all 5 digits, and use combinations depending on the tune and what notes and sound I'm chasing.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks for good insight on this!

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            What you’re doing is fine. There is nothing wrong with starting on the one with your ring finger, two the middle finger, three the index finger. There is a video on YouTube from Billy Sheehan where he goes over three finger technique. I play mostly with two fingers, and I usually start out one on the middle finger. If I’m doing three finger technique it’s one on the ring finger.
            I am more comfortable with just two fingers, and I usually just focus on that on low strings, as I think I get better sound that way.

I typically just by instinct move to three finger technique, when on higher strings as it makes it much easier to move accurately through strings. Easy to get up, but going down I do get stuck with my fingering with some parts. Starting with middle migh actually be the best way to go with that.
            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Do what works for YOU.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
              X