Musical cliches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical cliches

I was fiddling around today and noticed that the open A position is commonly used to hammer on from an A major triad to a D major triad (Lights by Journey, Lonely Is the Night, Rock and Roll All Night)

Or at a more base level, a ridiculous number of guitar solos start with sliding into the first note.

I figure it would help me out learning if any of you guys could tell me some of the other little tricks you see a lot across different songs?

There’s an accent ( it sure of the proper term) where the drums accent the end of a 4/4 measure that’s in a ton of songs.

Let me find the example in Cinderella’s “shake me”

it’s the accent at 40 seconds in:

one and-two and-three and-four and-five, six

——-
    there’s another one that always seemed odd to me. Might take me a bit to find the example but it’s something that happens during a chorus where the last word is left off, and then maybe the last chorus in the song they finally say the ending word.
    Last edited by DankStar; 02-21-2023, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Rappers did a thing a lot back in the day where they would skip the last word of the last line before the hook and then the hook would finish it.
      "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackhawkRise View Post
        Rappers did a thing a lot back in the day where they would skip the last word of the last line before the hook and then the hook would finish it.
        A lot of them feel the need to say their name, their producer’s name, their live lighting guy’s name in the intro. It’s even better when they start with “you know who it is!” but remind us anyway.

There must be hundreds of songs where everyone stops for a count when “stop” occurs in the lyrics.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

There's a thing that I run across in R&B tunes, where you barre the top 4 or 5 strings, hit them and then hammer on one fret below on the B and two frets below on the D at the same time to make a minor 7 chord. It's a nice sound. Not just for R&B either, Weezer does it in Say it Ain't So and Hendrix does it in Wait Until Tomorrow.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

In the 1970's, there were tons of songs that all went Am - G - F (Stairway To Heaven, Crazy On You, Don't Fear The Reaper, Carry On My Wayward Son, etc.). Now, if you just play Am - G - F, you've got a cliche 70's song.

Comment

Working...
            X