String dumpener/muter is it cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String dumpener/muter is it cheating?

Well, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal uses one, hard to call him a slacker .....What say you ?
    Active Duty Rig:
    MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
    Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Sympathetic Vibration can occur when you least expect it or even need it. If a string dampener or even a simple hairband means you don't have to think about it, then use it.

Comment

George Van Eps and Bucky Pizzarelli were both using them in the 50's and 60's on their 7 string archtops. Since those guys are both monsters, I think they are acceptable.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        George Van Eps and Bucky Pizzarelli were both using them in the 50's and 60's on their 7 string archtops. Since those guys are both monsters, I think they are acceptable.
        Interesting, I wonder why all the 80s shredders never used one? And unless I missed some from what I’ve seen Satch, Vai, Lynch still don’t use one, YJM obviously isn’t either, did anybody see Al DiMiola use one ?
        Active Duty Rig:
        MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
        Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

I see it more as a studio thing, but I would never call it cheating because I don't see music as a sport or competition anyways.
          Never used any dampeners myself, with the exception of coated tremolo-claw springs in the back of the floyd route.

Comment

I think it is being used now because gain and compression is higher, and any little noise gets amplified as much as the intended note. I don't tend to use that much gain or compression so I don't use one. I don't care what other players do.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cheating what? You do whatever you have to to get a good clear sound.

Comment

I've worked really hard to learn to play cleanly enough that I don't feel a need to use one - through a combination of picking palm and left hand dampening. This lets me play open strings when I want. If you never need to play open strings, or if you have developed a technique around engaging a string mute when necessary, that would do the same thing. Whatever works for you.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's only cheating when used during practice. In fact, no that's not even "cheating"; that's just flat out gimping yourself.

But it's a tool that saves studio time and therefore save money. Why would you not use it during recordings unless you want some of the sympathetic resonance?

What I am a bit against though are the marketed Fret Wraps products and stuff. Like, just use a sock or borrow your significant other's scrunchie.
                  Originally posted by Myaccount876
                  Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

If you need crutches to cut a record or passably perform live that's fine, but using in your day to day playing just hurts you more than anything.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Is Keef cheating when he removes a string?
                      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Is Keef cheating when he removes a string?
                        No way. He still gets plenty of music out of his axes.
                        Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-13-2023, 09:08 AM.
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Cheating who? do whatever you want to make music the way you want.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Doing multiple takes in the studio is cheating, but that's how a record is done.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              Doing multiple takes in the studio is cheating, but that's how a record is done.
                              At least with the multiple takes you are playing the piece correctly once. I don't count it as cheating until you start gluing together bits and pieces from multiple takes, or quantize stuff that's played out of time. That's cheating.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X