Best "just want to noodle" album?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I'd go with Yes The Yes Album and Fragile -so diverse and interesting from song to song

Then Close to Edge if you decide to get even wilder
    Both of these albums, to me, are a diamond mine of non-blues based rock licks.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Both of these albums, to me, are a diamond mine of non-blues based rock licks.
      Yep! the one big rock band that never liver in minor pentatonic as a crutch
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
        Glad to report, everything was fun!

Mincer- as a classical composer from a jazz school, I always imagined Freddie Freeloader would be easy, because it's blues based, and that So What would be hard. But it turned out to be the opposite. With Freddie I had to be very careful not to drop into mundane pentatonics, where I kind of went freeform in mixolydian and So What was actually easier- Of course if I try it next week, I'll hear it a different way and am likely to crash it.

Didn't get to any Floyd this week, but they are already one of my favorite jams.

And I was happily surprised on 2 counts with the Dead- when listening to them, I hear a lot of Garcia and expected to find it hard to layer in. But he uses that extreme clean sound a lot and a quacky strat pairs nicely and crunch also works well.

And as you would expect, Chambers and Lesh are such different bassists that they forced me into 2 different directions. As expected, Chambers never really gets you in a corner, so lots of different harmonizations are possible, but I forgot how melodic Lesh was! There were multiple times where I stopped my ramblings to parallel or counterpoint.. again, i doubt I would play it the same a second time, but what great tunes (and whitespace).

Thanks for great recommendations!
        Jerry was fanatical over having the cleanest, loudest (potentialy) sound that he could get. He ran with a massive amount of headroom.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow I would have never thought of that one... Makes total sense.

I tried Yes as young person but I just destroyed everything.. The only lines I could relate to were Squires but I always wanted to understand Howe. I liked Asia because they greatly simplified everything,

But I think I may have matured enough to go back and take another look, thanks for a great idea.
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Working...
          X