Aceman's Opus - help appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aceman's Opus - help appreciated!

So, I have had a song in my mind for a long time. A remake of a classic. I have finally gotten around to laying down some GarageBand scratch tracks for it. Really looking for for tips, hint's and suggestions to really make this awesome. Keeping the title under wraps for a while, probably until I "release" it.

Basically, I'm going either Mesa > Marshall 2x12 > Shure 57 > Scarlett i2 > GarageBand or
    POD Go > Scarlett i2 > Garage Band

So...here are a few comments/questions.

#1 For the intro, it's just going to be ideally a 12 string guitar. That said, I do not really have a 12 string that might be up for the job. So here are my options
    a) My Yamaha 12 String with an SD Woody pickup. Real 12 string...but will this sound decent?
    b) I have a Digitech Mosaic 12 string simulator. Could use that with my Takamine or Ovation
    c) I could use the Acoustic Sim in my POD Go, and double or harmonize or whatever
    d) I was wondering if maybe doubling electric clean and 12st might be a good idea...maybe add an octave lower in the mix or something?

#2 Drums are my challenge. I have zero drum chops. How the hell do I make decent drums? Right now using stock loops from Garageband to have something to play to. But this won't fly based on what I want to do

#3 What IS the best way to lay down tracks for such a project? Right now I have the actual song in a track in garage band (in a horrible key for guitar). I'll be playing lots of Eb Ab Gb Cb's.
    - I can't really "play along"
    - Like playing to drums, but I think I'll really need vocals too. I can do those - Have a Helicon Voice Live for reverb etc.
    - Do I lay down basic drums and add a "crash" whenever I need to know to change it up on chords or what?
    - Drums, Bass, Guitars, Vocals?
    - Drums, vocals, guitars, bass?
    - ????

So far I made a rough rhythm track with the stock drums as a starting point. But dang - that was hard! Just one drum beat...and changing it up singing along in my head.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

For drums, I use EZdrummer or my Esoniq sq1. You can pick up a SQ1 for ~$100 - 150 and it is very flexible for rhythm tracks.

Comment

I have heard off EZ Drummer...maybe time to check it out.

Comment

I can do a screen share ZOOM with you if you want to check it out.

Comment

EQ Drummer is a fun program that is easy to use and pretty deep. I'd recommend it. But I will also say..if you are putting in that much effort, write your own tune.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

1.) If you want a 12 string sound, then I would go for the 12 string you have, instead of trying to imitate it. However, in this case I would personally just do a few bars of each method you've listed, then decide with ears what you think works best. Then go from there

2.) I found this video on YT to be quite interesting regarding drum parts. It's centered around video game music, but as with all instruments the principles covered tend to cross genres, especially with drums.

3.) Now that bit is a mystery to me. Drum,Bass,Guit,Vox seems the most logical, but this does tend to 'lock in' the stock drum track, and makes changing it later odd.

Of course this is all just my personal amateur opinions, others on here may know better than me. Now if only I could actually finish anything I write... good luck Ace!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              EQ Drummer is a fun program that is easy to use and pretty deep. I'd recommend it. But I will also say..if you are putting in that much effort, write your own tune.
              When/ if I reveal, you'll get it. This will be a considerable redo.

Comment

whatever order makes sense to you.

I start with a click track (one in the mix so I can see it and control the level better). the click track is essential.

Then scratch guitars, then drums, then real guitars and bass, then more guitars, vocals, keys/samples, then mixing. Drums take forever if you want them to sound somewhat realistic. EZ drummer is awesome, and I might get the latest one. I always wanted addictive drums, but never took the plunge. There's free stuff, but it's more difficult to work with IMO.

Mixing is a whole other ball of wax and rabbit hole.

I don't usually bother mastering. There's another rabbit hole. I use light "mastering" plugins (basically tape compression, EQ, limiting) on the master bus when mixing. They say it's a no-no, but that's how I do it and I like my mixes better that way than my attempts at mastering (usually).
                Last edited by DankStar; 05-01-2023, 09:25 AM.

Comment

What I like about Z Drummer the most is when you input the track/file to Studio One each drum gets its own track which is nice for EQ/reverb of the individual drums, especially the snare and kick.

Comment

Tried load the EZ Drummer 10day trial and it is being a PITA - says no midi files anywhere...

Comment

I had a similar experience with EZ Drummer.

I couldn’t get the files to work right with the recording software.

I gave up on it.
                      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

On a win...I have some basic scratch tracks down; 3 guitars and a bass, plus a drum loop that is "working" for the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          #1 For the intro, it's just going to be ideally a 12 string guitar. That said, I do not really have a 12 string that might be up for the job. So here are my options
                          a) My Yamaha 12 String with an SD Woody pickup. Real 12 string...but will this sound decent?
                          b) I have a Digitech Mosaic 12 string simulator. Could use that with my Takamine or Ovation
                          c) I could use the Acoustic Sim in my POD Go, and double or harmonize or whatever
                          d) I was wondering if maybe doubling electric clean and 12st might be a good idea...maybe add an octave lower in the mix or something?
                          I'd try:
                          e) Play the intro on your best clean sounding 6 string guitar, then capo somewhere around the 6th or 7th fret and double the part on it again after working out the right chord and melody shapes from that position. It won't sound perfectly like a 12 string, but it'll be close enough if your timing is good.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                          X