Sting, bass tone. How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sting, bass tone. How?

How do I get this bass tone that Sting is putting out?

Sounds like a synth.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-26-2023, 05:57 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Wasn't he using an electric upright with a bow on some songs during that time? It seems like I remember that. I think he was also using a white Spector around then as well.

Comment

Get a noise gate that you can control the attack and set it to slightly slower attack so it almost works like a volume pedal swelling really fast on each note. I used to use a gate in an SPX90 rack unit to do that kind of sound. If it's constant, rhythmic on tempo, you can also use a tremolo effect and play in time with it and it will swell in like a synth on each note like that. Pink Floyd's "One Of These Days" was done like that, as was the guitar of The Smiths "How Soon Is Now?"

Also has some kind of chorus or flange sound on it.

Comment

Haha. He uses both live

Comment

Comment

The first step is learning to ejaculate internally
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                The first step is learning to ejaculate internally
                Learning what? That you should probably head to the emergency room?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Learning what? That you should probably head to the emergency room?
                  I'm just repeating what Sting said...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Two sounds (at least) layered in that bass sound. There is bass guitar but it's overshadowed by synth. The synth, I think, is actually long sustained notes with the volume modulated by a triangle wave (or maybe sine wave) to make it pulse in time with the tempo.

Decades later the same technique was/is sometimes being used by DJs and in EDM to pulse whole mixes.
                    Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 07-29-2023, 10:13 PM.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Not so much interested in what came out of his mouth.
                      More interested as to how he got the sound that he got coming out of the speaker for the recording.
                      But thanks for your always succinct and useful comments.

Comment

Demanic:

Here's a breakdown of what was used on the album that might get you closer

​​​​​​https://the-police-equipment.fandom....hine_equipment
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I think eclectic synergy is correct. I also think the live vid seems to be exactly what is going on in the studio version. You can see Sting holding down bass notes on the synth without repeating them. Then you can also see a touring bassist back in the darkness playing bass guitar and pumping 8ths. Short answer is still the personality of the tone is coming from a synth. That's what gives it that harmonic content.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

So is the question: How do I get this sound with my bass and my amp? or is the question: What exact equipment did Sting use so I can buy all of that?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                              So is the question: How do I get this sound with my bass and my amp? or is the question: What exact equipment did Sting use so I can buy all of that?
                              Not going on an equipment binge. Just looking for suggestions that I can use with what I already have to get as close as possible. I've never had much interest in copping someone else's exact sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X