Songs to practice string skipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Songs to practice string skipping

The title of this thread is kind of misleading, but I don't think there's really a term to describe it.

Do you guys know of any songs that feature patterns in which you alternate between hitting a steady root note and hitting a changing higher note? It's not the same as Travis picking, and it usually involves a downstroke on the root note and an upstroke on the other note.

The intro to The Reason by Hoobstank is a great example.

Sweet Child O' Mine has a lot of skipping.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Discipline by King Crimson is one hell of a string skipping song.

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Discipline by King Crimson is one hell of a string skipping song.

Guessing it's called "Discipline" because of all the practice required to play it.

That is one of the busiest yet coolest grooves I have ever heard. Accents shifting everywhere. Trying to count it is a challenge. Sometimes it sounds like a programmed delay. Sometimes it sounds like an overdub with the second guitar falling deliberately behind based on feel. And the counterpoint, tone, and groove the bass provides...just great stuff.

Drums could have offered more but this is a legendary band that started a good deal of the prog movement.

Comment

Yes, 2 guitars playing different time signatures, while a Chapman Stick plays another. But as string skipping exercises, it is pretty fantastic.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
          X