Funk Chord Shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funk Chord Shapes

I was playing SRV's "Cold Shot" and it really got me into percussive funk playing, namely bar muting the whole neck except for one or two notes, but strumming the entire chord, and then quickly muting the note.

I also know there's a chord shape where you bar the 5 highest strings except flatten the note on the D string by a half step.

Are there any other common funk chords?
    "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Combine the two things you're already doing. Bar the plain strings mute the wound ones.

Also learning funky strum patterns is important.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Funk players use all shapes, types and lots of chord tensions. Like Chris said it is more about the rhythm and attack. Here is an article I wrote on funk guitar that might give you some ideas.

Comment

I've never thought of it as funk chords. Any chords can be funk chords if played short staccato style. For funk guitar, I think much more of it as a percussion instrument, the chord just adds color. I treat it like I'm playing timbales or conga, playing polyrhythms against the drums and bass.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackhawkRise View Post
          I also know there's a chord shape where you bar the 5 highest strings except flatten the note on the D string by a half step.
          It's called a 9 chord. Dominant 7th chord with a 9. Notes are root, major 3rd, minor 7th, 9th, 5th.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Funk bordering on jazz is going to use a lot of extensions up to and including the 11th and 13th.

A few thoughts:

1) It takes a 7 string guitar to play a full 13th chord. When you run out of strings, drop the 5th. In fact, any time you're in doubt about a chord voicing, the 5th is usually dropped. Dropping the 5th has no effect on the chord identity. It just fills it out. The third and 7th will be your main determiners of chord identity.

2) Often small pieces of extended chords are played on guitar. As a guitarist, you can omit the bass note and have the bass player play the root. Likewise, you can vamp on the same chord and let the bass player move around and determine the root of the chord. This is commonly done with diminished 7th chords.

3) Often multiple guitars play pieces of chords while the bass determines the root and identity of a chord. When multiple chords are layered on top of one another, it's my understanding that this is a polychord. It can be thought of like right or left hand on piano.

Comment

Just add 16th note wah pumping to any chord and it is instantly a funk chord. Funk is a feel, not a harmony.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Also, maybe a bit contrary to others here, but I would argue anything in the dom7/dom9/dom13 family is going to sound like funk because of all the unresolved tension in the chord.

11th chords will often be in a #11 flavor because the 11th can often rub against the 3rd in the chord in a way many feel is unpleasant.

I emphasize dominant chord tonalities because it just doesn't sound the same doing funk on an Em triad as it would a dom7/dom9/dom13.

Of course I stand to be corrected as funk really isn't my genre. I was exposed enough to it, though, to know the basics of the harmony.

It is true that funk is more a feel and rhythm thing, but the tonality is important.

As an example, a very, very minor blues isn't going to sound the same as the traditional blues we hear in our head, which is usually of the dominant 7th variety. Dom7 chords just have that twangy jangle.

Comment

Doobie Bros are great for that! Long train running.
                  Last edited by El Dunco; 10-03-2023, 10:02 PM.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

This has all been very useful information, I found this video too that has been helpful to me, for anyone else who finds this thread while browsing the internet.

What are some good songs for internalizing the main funk techniques. I like what Niles Rogers does, I learned Good Times yesterday because I feel it's a funk standard. Any other important funk songs that are worth learning?

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

Cissy Strut - The Meters
                      Get On Up - James Brown
                      Brick House - Commodores
                      Play That Funky Music - Wild Cherry
                      It's Your Thing - Isley Brothers
                      Superstition - Stevie Wonder (yeah it's on keys, but there are some great guitar covers)
                      Shining Star - Earth, Wind, and Fire
                      Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield

That ought to get you started . . .
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X