Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marty Robbins/Roy Orbison vocals

Hi all,
    So I posted some Link Wray to another thread (late 50s/early 60s guitar blues rock), and it got me thinking about some other stuff I got through osmosis from my Dad's 8 track tapes from the 70s.

I've noticed that both country singer Marty Robbins and classic rocker Roy Orbison kind of have a signature, very wet, reverby vocal sound, especially Robbins. Orbison doesn't have as much reverb as I remember but it's still distinct as far as a vocal.

I know very little about recording vocals. I thought maybe someone could provide insight, as I'm curious as to how they got their signature vocal sounds.

For Robbins especially, my guess is plate reverb, as that is what they did in those days, but it doesn't sound quite as harsh as a plate to my ear. That sounds more like singing in a tile bathroom depending upon how the settings are dialed in.

I realize back in the day it depended upon plate size, size of the room, mic placement etc. But I'm curious as to how they got their rich vocal sound that still sounds good 60-70 years later.

I grew up thoroughly listening to 70s outlaw country through my Dad. Still don't like it for very specific reasons (just don't like dominant 7th chords). I appreciate the musicianship that goes into it, especially stuff like Charlie Daniels Band, but it just isn't my thing. Bluegrass and shred are cousins, if not brothers.

That said I really admire how 80s country (Ronnie Millsap comes to mind) was mixed. Whereas in the 50s-60s bands seem kind of minimized for the sake of the vocal, by the 80s everything was very balanced. Bass comes through really clear--might have even been sampled but I doubt it. Gated snares were taking over all genres back then.

So for my metal bros who don't understand why I like a clean bass sound, it probably comes from Ronnie Millsap as much as Steve Harris. Very easy to hear and transcribe against the guitars. Then again the parts are very different and not doubled. Piano like low end is good.

Robbins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q9bAWGEkcE

Orbison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KFvoDDs0XM

Millsap: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvxQ57BvAQQ

Marty Robbins was recorded in the Quonset Hut in Nashville for Columbia records. They used an EMT140 plate reverb on his voice. Real plate reverbs sound lush and warm, they don't sound harsh at all. The only thing better is an actual reverberant room.

Comment

Comment

Wow. Super layered. Sounds like 6 voices or more. Interesting how the mics picked up the band. I guess it's so subtle you can't hear it in the mix, but you have the actual band tracks, and then the band bleeding through the vocal mics.

Makes me not feel bad if a vocal mic picks me up monitoring myself through headphones.

Just a great singer.

Comment

Working...
        X