super quick mic test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super quick mic test

been wanting to test out my senheiser hanging mic. at the same time testing my modeler (plexi + modeled TS) through a tube amp (60s bogen challenger PA) and typical speaker cab (2 x 12, v30s).

had to cut out a lot of higher register. I'm guessing most of that was the digital modeling yuckies? sounded better in the room (reminds me how I don't like micing amps much)

bass guitar jack is messed up but went with it for the test.

I'm sure I can do better but that's for when I have more time...

https://soundcloud.com/dank-s-tar/hb-mic-test1?si=6f63c5a96b4f4a2583609e5f7852bcd8&utm_sour ce=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_s haring
    Last edited by DankStar; 10-28-2023, 05:24 PM.

Sounds good to me. Which Sennheiser are you running, a 609 or 906? I found the 609 was a little brighter than I wanted to use most of the time, so ended up getting a 906 which has a switch to cut the highs back a bit.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Sounds good to me. Which Sennheiser are you running, a 609 or 906? I found the 609 was a little brighter than I wanted to use most of the time, so ended up getting a 906 which has a switch to cut the highs back a bit.
      I thought you were joking at first. I had no idea there was an evil twin with backwards numbering and more features. I have the 609.

That explains some things - bright mic, plus a modeler, plus a v30. No wonder I had to cut a lot of highs.

I don’t mind doing it in the box now that I know it’s a typical issue.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Those drums sound good too. Which ones are they?

Comment

Is everyone going to overlook the PA conversion?
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
              Those drums sound good too. Which ones are they?
              Those were ugritone’s tight studio drums (taste of compression kit) and a doom midi loop of theirs. I didn’t do much to them, except maybe put a compressor on the whole kit.

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
                Is everyone going to overlook the PA conversion?
                Those are my only full-tube amps: a Bogen Challenger, two Precision Electronics, a Bell Carillion and a Realistic Carnival. I used to get them off eBay (a couple already converted) and a few I took to M-tronics in Mesa AZ. They all have different power tubes, some kinda weird. No effects loops so their preamps do color the sound a bit and add grit in a good way. Typically I’ll just run pedals into them. I’m surprised they still work it’s been like 20 years!
                Last edited by DankStar; 10-29-2023, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

Those are my only full-tube amps: a Bogen Challenger, two Precision Electronics, a Bell Carillion and a Realistic Carnival. I used to get them off eBay (a couple already converted) and a few I took to M-tronics in Mesa AZ. They all have different power tubes, some kinda weird. No effects loops so their preamps do color the sound a bit and add grit in a good way. Typically I’ll just run pedals into them. I’m surprised they still work it’s been like 20 years!
                  How very hipster, doing it before it was cool!
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

How very hipster, doing it before it was cool!
                    People were definitely doing it but the lunchbox craze was just about to hit. The valve junior may have been out, it was around that time. I got a little carried away but it was just too easy to pop into m-tronics, and they did them up pretty cheap.

Comment

Sounds great

I got a hanging Sennheiser a few months ago and it's fantastic
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        Sounds great

I got a hanging Sennheiser a few months ago and it's fantastic
                        thanks! I'm gonna try blending it with a 57 too. I love the simplicity, just hang it

Comment

thanks! I'm gonna try blending it with a 57 too. I love the simplicity, just hang it
                          They’re amazing like that when positioned right. With the right blend of mics, you absolutely can recreate the parts you love most about your sound in the room, on recording. My favourite combo to date is a Heil PR30 and an e906, sometimes even with a figure 8 pattern condenser lined up underneath.

Comment

They’re amazing like that when positioned right. With the right blend of mics, you absolutely can recreate the parts you love most about your sound in the room, on recording. My favourite combo to date is a Heil PR30 and an e906, sometimes even with a figure 8 pattern condenser lined up underneath.
                            With two are you doing both up close or is one farther away? I was thinking off center on each speaker but some distance might be cool

Comment

With two are you doing both up close or is one farther away? I was thinking off center on each speaker but some distance might be cool
                              Depends on the room you have. If the room sounds crappy, then close micing is the way to go to reduce any weird reverb or frequency stuff going on. With two close mics I like to put them on different speakers and then pan hard left and right.

If the room is OK I like to mix a dynamic mic right up on the speaker cone with a large diaphragm condenser from about six to eight feet back pointing at the amp. You have to play around with positioning a bit to avoid any weird phase stuff, but when it's set up right I find it lets you mix them together without panning to get a very true representation of the sound of the amp in the room.
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X