banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rhythm guitar doubling--same guitar or different guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fricker wouldn’t know better than Flemming Rassmussen, the actual producer. He has shown his notes. It’s no less than four and as many as 6 on Puppets with two tracks hard left right with only the low E chugs.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      I hate Fricker, LOL. As much as some of his tips are usefull and insightful, he comes off as such a radical that you'd expect his mixes to be fantastic. While they're not some random dude's with a Focusrite in his bedroom, they're certainly (to me) nothing to write home about. JMO. As far as YouTubers go, I much prefer Kohle's work (even if some of his approaches are not my favorite) or Ermin Hamidovic's (much much much prefer what that guy does).

I like the Load/Reload tones, but they kinda fit those records and that's it. I remember James Hetfield from around that era where he had the combed back hair playing Master of Puppets with his at-the-time tone, and it sounded like ****, LOL. Honestly, after St. Anger, all of their tones went down the drain. And while on Load/Reload, their tones were very well-produced for those pop-rock records (which I actually don't dislike), they would certainly sound super odd for their prime stuff.

The thing about (for me) about prime In Flames is that the music was incredible, but the production was kinda noticeably low-budget. I'm not sure why ATG made it work for them on Slaugter of the Soul (maybe because, as Fredrik has said, they played so good). I guess it's because ATG always had "uglier" music than IF, hence why the ugly, edgy mix fit them better.

JMO.
      Honestly, I can't tell much of any difference between any metal producers after 2000-2005 or so.

Comment

Nordstrom stuff:

Owen Gillett interviews legendary Swedish metal producer Fredrik Nordstrom

There's one interview I find where he talks about having to constantly be self educated and how he started in the analog tape/cassette days. He also talks about the importance of a treated room for listening.

It's here I think: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0mhg9G3Ong

Comment

I am glad OP posted this. I have been overthinking about my next recording session and which guitars and pickups I will use. This thread has me thinking back to when I was recording the heaviest ad and doing studio work. I would show up with just the Iceman and an MXR D+; that's it. I will definitely bring a couple of guitars to my next session but I think my focus is now on pliability and comfort, not EQ. EQ can always be changed in post.

Comment

I almost always use different guitars... Usually something with the intended tone and then the same thing again on a usually a Tele -so the track pops
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
            X