Post a riff you like

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post a riff you like

The riff. The production. The vocals. The lyrical message. The cinematic epicness of it. I have loved this one since I was tiny.

Probably one of the most perfect metal riffs. I didn't realize how simple it was til I saw a Guitar Pro or Songsterr version of it.

It's pretty much a variation on Iron Maiden's "Wasted Years," but Queensryche's Michael Wilton (always unfairly in Chris DeGarmo's shadow) was a big fan of Maiden's Adrian Smith. Wilton wrote the majority of this one.

Can't beat a Paul Gilbert style descending E minor pedal riff. And the bass just slices through, even played with fingers and without the 2003 remaster. Clean mix that gels but doesn't overlap in a flabby, djent-y mess.

Good luck finding a singer if you want to pull this off live.

It also taught me the value of chromaticism--flat 5ths as passing tones in the chords underneath, and the 9th, probably one of the most (over)used intervals in melodic metal. It's really evident in the pre-chorus and under the solo.

No prog metal or Swedish melodeath without this band for sure.

Most of the members were graduates of the Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle in the early 1980s. I am a big advocate for formal music education if possible. It takes years off the learning process.

Last edited by Inflames626; 11-06-2023, 05:52 PM.

Great album all around. One of my favorites since I first heard it.

I am in the "DeGarmo>Wilton", "No Queensryche Without DeGarmo", and "Everything After Mindcrime Is Toothless Dad Rock" camps.

____

​​​​​​King Crimson - Frame By Frame (not the fast Fripp line in the beginning, which is cool and all, but the main verse part with that polyrhythm... fantastico)

King Crimson - Red (right out of the gate, boom. also love the drum sound on this, and Fripp should've kept that beard)

Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Great KC posts. Make me think of Yes.

IMO Chris was more creative as a songwriter. Wilton was the more metal influenced guitarist. The ultimate downfall of the band was Tate's declining interest in metal and attempts to take control of the band with his wife managing. Todd LaTorre is a good musician but, now especially without Rockenfield, they are a shadow of what they were.

DeGarmo v. Wilton is kind of like Murray vs. Smith. Always preferred Smith. I don't think anyone else in Maiden besides Smith could have done the (relatively) heavier stuff Bruce was doing with Roy Z. in the late 90s.

Also, to Wilton's credit, Wilton now does both his and Chris's solos.

Edit: KC has me in the mood to dig up some Fate's Warning.

Comment

Not going to post Two minutes to Midnight or Smoke on the water type rifs cuz everyone's heard/knows them...

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I like the way it ^^ builds up.. It inspired the start of of one of our goregrind tracks (just the vibe...no plagiarism )

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 11-11-2023, 06:53 PM.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Good stuff, Phantasmagoria, especially Pathos. I'm a big Daniel Antonsson fan, although I didn't realize his earlier work was in more of a power metal vein.

Comment

Also don't get why so many folk say Yngwie can't write decent /memorable riffs and songs...

What a load of crock..

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                Good stuff, Phantasmagoria, especially Pathos. I'm a big Daniel Antonsson fan, although I didn't realize his earlier work was in more of a power metal vein.
                Sadly that was the album's one stand-out track (and opener). The rest was decent but kinda run-of-the-mill power-thrash...but Mask Of Fear is worth the price of admission alone

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
                  Great album all around. One of my favorites since I first heard it.

I am in the "DeGarmo>Wilton", "No Queensryche Without DeGarmo", and "Everything After Mindcrime Is Toothless Dad Rock" camps.

____

​​​​​​King Crimson - Frame By Frame (not the fast Fripp line in the beginning, which is cool and all, but the main verse part with that polyrhythm... fantastico)

King Crimson - Red (right out of the gate, boom. also love the drum sound on this, and Fripp should've kept that beard)

Two of my favorites. Here is the cousin of Red:

Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All these fools adding extra strings but Al & co. had them beat by two decades with an Eventide.

Heavier than concrete shoes.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by El Dunco View Post
                      All these fools adding extra strings but Al & co. had them beat by two decades with an Eventide.

Heavier than concrete shoes.
                      And yet Filth Pig might be one of their less well received records.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        Also don't get why so many folk say Yngwie can't write decent /memorable riffs and songs...

What a load of crock..

Children of Dragonforce.

Can actually hear YJM's rhythm guitars pretty well here.

Comment

This one really gets me.​​​​​

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
                            This one really gets me.​​​​​

Divisive album, but great build up. Sounds a little off here like it's in standard tuning and not Eb.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

Children of Dragonforce.

Can actually hear YJM's rhythm guitars pretty well here.
                              His 90's output/playing/tone was pretty sweet and his productions were'nt bad until WTEAW (2000).

Alchemy is probably my fave since the first 3-4 albums...have Marks Boals singing & John Macaluso on drums did'nt hurt either..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X