No announcement yet.

Why don't singers have signature mics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't singers have signature mics?

Posting this here because it's indirectly a mic question and so it is recording gear.

I noticed with all the endorsed/custom gear in the music gear industry microphone companies don't seem to design products to specific singers' specs the way a pickup company might work with a bassist or guitarist.

It would seem to be an excellent marketing strategy to me. Could you imagine how a Michael Jackson custom mic could have sold in the 80s?

I suppose people could say you're sort of stuck with the voice you have so what works for an artist might not work for the customer, but at the same time the pickup you buy might not work for the guitar you have.

I know most singers use various mics depending upon stage or studio (yet most get stuck with an SM 58), so what they use at any given time can vary. Again, same with pickups and amps.

The benefit of a mic designed for an artist is "If you have a voice like..." then the mic might work for you.

Again, seems like a solid strategy.

Just thought I'd get everyone's thoughts on why we don't see more endorsements in the mic category. For singers to have the sexiest/most sought after position in most bands, their gear seems to be the most overlooked.

And an endorsement would give Neumann another reason to charge you even more money: "U47 Frank Sinatra series," "U87 schwarze Serie," and so on.

I get it. Don't give them any ideas. But it seems legit for singers who know their range, timbre, and role in a group well. It's also an easier way to figure what you're looking for than relying on an engineer/producer or researching obscure Ibanez-type model numbers for mics.

Instead you just say, "Get me the Michael Jackson custom mic."

Thanks.
    Last edited by Inflames626; 11-23-2023, 08:04 AM.

I think that would make engineers' jobs even harder. Instead of going through the mics they have to pick the best fit and get a predictable result with the rest of their gear, they'd be stuck using something new based on whatever marketing tripe happened to appeal to any given vocalist. Good engineers know way more about what mics work in what situations than most vocalists do. Plus everybody knows the MJ "sig" mic is an SM7.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I'd guess it's because with any other instrument you need a good sounding instrument to sound your best, wheras when you're singing you don't need anything, all a mic can do is color your sound. If you have a Frank Sinatra mic, it creates the idea that Frank Sinatra needed a specific mic to sound good.

Hopefully I managed to express the thoughts in my head in an accurate way
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Because it hasn't occurred to mic companies that they could market them in such a way.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
          I think that would make engineers' jobs even harder. Instead of going through the mics they have to pick the best fit and get a predictable result with the rest of their gear, they'd be stuck using something new based on whatever marketing tripe happened to appeal to any given vocalist. Good engineers know way more about what mics work in what situations than most vocalists do. Plus everybody knows the MJ "sig" mic is an SM7.
          Aren't we in this situation currently though with boutique pickups? Even with just production models from big companies, I know a lot more about how an EMG 81 or Duncan Distortion will sound vs. a Fishman Fluence or Duncan Pegasus.

Of course you can always just tweak your amp but you can't tweak your throat. That said, you can still adjust EQ quite a bit.

Interesting. I learned something. I thought MJ might have used a bright, detailed, expensive tube mic to accentuate his timbre and range, whereas SM7s were used more for people with lower registers, more vocal weight, and in rock and metal for its darker, less detailed tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Because it hasn't occurred to mic companies that they could market them in such a way.
            But it did to me. Someone pay me for the idea now.

Comment

Seashore touched on it. For the most part, it is not the singer picking out the mic; it is the recording/live engineer. They will also switch out mics depending on the venue or application. I am sure singers have their preferences, 58 or a 57. But they are not as fickle as us guitar players.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                I'd guess it's because with any other instrument you need a good sounding instrument to sound your best, wheras when you're singing you don't need anything, all a mic can do is color your sound. If you have a Frank Sinatra mic, it creates the idea that Frank Sinatra needed a specific mic to sound good.

Hopefully I managed to express the thoughts in my head in an accurate way
                Would he have sounded the way he did through a mic besides the U47 though, especially in that intimate 1940s-50s crooner style? Chicken or egg question?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Seashore touched on it. For the most part, it is not the singer picking out the mic; it is the recording/live engineer. They will also switch out mics depending on the venue or application. I am sure singers have their preferences, 58 or a 57. But they are not as fickle as us guitar players.
                  And yet our pickups are pretty much just mics. Does the producer/engineer tell the guitarist what pickups to use that often? Maybe what guitar.

This is an interesting conversation that will hopefully go on a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

But it did to me. Someone pay me for the idea now.

:P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

You broke my heart, GuitarStv.

Comment

I was gonna say...I think this sort of thing has been done before. But I also think singers think differently than guitarists and are less likely to be swayed by a celebrity endorsement, especially if they have a very different voice than the celebrity.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Man, Axle is looking a lot better than Slash these days . . .
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It's a lot easier to for someone to believe that they can sound like Eddie Van Halen if they just get a Eddie Van Halen signature guitar.

It's a lot harder for someone to believe that they can sound like Taylor Swift if they just get a Taylor Swift signature microphone.
                              "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X