Great mixing-for-clarity tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great mixing-for-clarity tutorial

One of the best mixing videos I've seen - he gets right to the point, uses a good example and doesn't add 800 plugins to get the job done.

Hopefully things aren't routed to 95,000 busses either.

It's less efficient RAM wise but I like each channel with its own effects so I can be very precise when dialing in tones.
    Last edited by Inflames626; 12-05-2023, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
      Hopefully things aren't routed to 95,000 busses either.

It's less efficient RAM wise but I like each channel with its own effects so I can be very precise when dialing in tones.
      He uses them sparsely. It is great to have the flexibility to put one reverb type on the guitar, another on vocals, etc. so I get it. My computer is pretty old at this point and I personally need to use every trick in the book to free up RAM. I come from the days of 4 track recording where you had to bounce down tracks to free up more tracks. It's sometimes nice to have to commit to things or simplify to move towards the end goal.
      Last edited by DankStar; 12-05-2023, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post

He uses them sparsely. It is great to have the flexibility to put one reverb type on the guitar, another on vocals, etc. so I get it. My computer is pretty old at this point and I personally need to use every trick in the book to free up RAM. I come from the days of 4 track recording where you had to bounce down tracks to free up more tracks. It's sometimes nice to have to commit to things or simplify to move towards the end goal.
        Yeah I still have my old Tascam MKII 8 track cassette recorder I got when I was maybe 17 in the late 90s.

I see the wisdom in bussing if you can apply a single setting across everything. It just feels really baked in that way if you need to tweak.

When I used to do drums in Cakewalk around 2000 I would give each drum its own track and really finely adjust each drum.

Now things like BFD and Superior Drummer have their own built in mixers so I can pretty much put an entire kit as a virtual instrument VST on one track.

I kind of prefer just using the regular tracks in Cakewalk though because I understand those better from messing with guitar. Sometimes the mixer GUI in a drum VST can be kind of weird. Or the software gets old, janky, and crashes.

It helps just to have good samples from the get go, but sometimes I like a raw unprocessed sound like you recorded drums on the other side of a closed door or with only overheads.

Comment

Working...
        X