banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propellerhead Reason for guitarists--is it useful?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propellerhead Reason for guitarists--is it useful?

Some DAW stuff, mainly I'm thinking Fruity Loops for EDM, is better for certain genres than others.

I was always intrigued by Propellerhead's Reason in the 00s and its complex signal routing. This seemed useful especially for sound design of synth pads to break up the monotony of distorted guitars. However, I was intimidated by the learning curve.

Is it worth taking the time to learn, or is Kontakt easier to use, if not as powerful?

Many thanks.

I used Reason a bit, mostly because it had the best acoustic piano sample library of any of my software (some good strings, too). But the interface was for the birds. I respect where they were coming from but I have no desire to go back to it unless I'm somehow forced to. There's got to be a better way. No experience with Kontakt. I really enjoyed using the Nord Modular soft synth, found that a lot more intuitive, but that was 20 years ago and I don't know if it's a thing anymore.
    Take it to the limit
    Everybody to the limit
    Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

I think both Reason and Kontakt aren't great, clumsy, and both in need of a design refresh. If I was into routing, I might use a program like Gig Performer instead.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I think both Reason and Kontakt aren't great, clumsy, and both in need of a design refresh. If I was into routing, I might use a program like Gig Performer instead.
        Since I have very little knowledge of keyboard and synth outboard equipment, it always overwhelmed me. Kind of like if you were in the amp building section of Revalver as a non-guitarist.

Comment

Also, I wouldn't say Kontakt is optimal. There are just so many sample packs for it that it's hard not to use it. I feel the same about Superior Drummer. I prefer BFD to it for natural acoustic sounding drums, but Superior is so popular in the industry. I tend to use it for more triggered, clickier sounds.

One of my former teachers, Joy Basu, is a big Massive proponent. I'm guessing that may be an alternative to Reason.

Reason also now directly records wav audio as well, it seems.

Comment

Working...
          X