NAD _Laney IRF Dual-top 60W SS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD _Laney IRF Dual-top 60W SS

Came in yesterday afternoon but I was down w/ the flu and was'nt feeling that great so I just got it unpacked this AM. This is my third from the Ironheart family and looks just like a dinky version of my 120 W head. Size wise it's just marginally smaller than my Laboga The Beast 30W heads..so not ridiculously tiny.

Soundwise ..it's absolutely in the ballpark of the other Ironheart's though it's solid state (not that I can even tell). Hooked it up to my Vox 1x12, grabbed the closest guitar (my Yamaha Pacifica) and recorded more emotional Jazz within minutes of getting it unpacked

Can't wait to get going w/ the shred & neoclassical & all that fun stuff (coming up soon )

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

With my new Ibby RGT (Br. Dmz TZ pup) & Wishbone Ash's Epic Af classic "Throw down your sword" as a backing track

I selected the "Dark" voicing & "Assymetrical" clipping for this one (last clip was "bright") Onboard boost & reverb (no other Fx/processing).

This does have a few switchable options my other two Ironheart's don't (voicing selector, clipping selector etc) Dialing it is familiar and pretty much identical to my other Ironheart's.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Same thing w/ "bright" voicing & "symmetrical" clipping:

It has a three way mini toggle w/ three voicings (bright, normal & dark) & another three way mini toggle for Asssymetrical, Clean & Symmetrical clipping ..not sure what that's all about but all three sound/feel different....so that's a good thing )

Youtube

Comment

The bright voicing gives it a grainy, Marshally hi-mid/trebly bite/texture....while the dark/normal voicings are smoother. I can get the same kinda tonal variation w/ my other Ironheart's using the push-pull EQ. This one just uses the voicing & clipping switches to get there instead..

Youtube

Comment

And back to my comfort zone w/ my Sire S7 (Bridge pup) Amp was set to Voicing: Flat, Clipping: Clean...

This amp is a worthy addition to my Solid State stable alongside my AMT Stonehead, Randall T2 & Orange Crushes. The way it sounds, responds and feels is totally indistinguishable from a tube amp...and @ 60 Watts it's f'n loud too

Youtube

Comment

Laney SS w/ my Ibanez S870FM _needs a bit of tuning ( Voicing Flat, Clipping Assymetrical) Vox 1x12...

The old digits area bit stiff and painful thanks to w/e bug I have atm but I just soldiered on anyway

Youtube

Comment

Same settings different axe (Air Norton neck)

Youtube

Comment

Don't get me wrong I love a nice tube amp as much as anyone....but It's more of a thrill when I get my hands on an SS amp that has no problem keeping up like this little beast

Can't wait to A/B it against the other Ironhearts...should be fun

Youtube

Comment

Youtube

Comment

IRF (SS. Voicing:dark, Clippping Assym) Vs. IRT Studio (Both amp's using only their onboard boost's & reverb)

Youtube

Comment

What is your opinion between the IFS and IRT Studio? I can grab an IRT Studio (almost) locally and 15w/1w is enough for me.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        What is your opinion between the IFS and IRT Studio? I can grab an IRT Studio (almost) locally and 15w/1w is enough for me.
                        Pretty sure they can both produce identical tones. The IRF being solid state does'nt change that...it's ridiculously tube-like even to play. They both switch down to 1 Watt & sound great that way In fact all my clips are with the amps on their 1 Watt setting. While I have'nt cranked them up I'm sure they will both keep up with a reasonable drummer.

I just love the tone this amp has..they're (all versions) in the same ballpark...

Youtube

Comment

Thanks a lot.
                          The external power supply on the IRF-Dualtop is a bit of a turn-off for me.

Comment

haha, well in the end it's probably a Class D power amp section and they all run on those..

I just wanted the IRF to see how it compares, I really dig super-tube-like SS amps. They give me a kick

Next up wit my DIY 1x12 (Semi-open back - Eminence Legend GB128 + SM57). Ibby RGT Premium (neck & bridge pups) Amp Voicing: Dark/ Assym clipping.

Youtube

Comment

Some Blues w/ my Sire strat's neck pup into the IRF/Vox 1x12. Sounds like the whole guitar's falling apart. .it's so raspy & splattery

This axe is strung w/ 10's instead of my usual 9's so I messed up some bends at the start....but eh that's what gives it character...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X