A Melodic Death Metal song I recorded almost 10 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Melodic Death Metal song I recorded almost 10 years ago

Actually, a little over 9 years ago, I recorded 4 songs. Mostly Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore-y stuff.

I recorded the bass and the guitars myself. I programmed the drums. I mixed the stuff. I did put a lot of effort on the mix, but listening back, there is A LOT of stuff that I'd change. Unfortunately, I lost the sessions when my computer from that time died. TBH, I'd mix those drums a bit lower and have a bit less lower mids on the guitars. But oh well...

But I still like what I achieved! Please give it a listen a give me your thoughts:

This was the setup that was responsible for the guitar tone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10714505_10152894149695746_429722444746388727_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=9b3078&_nc_ohc=FVtaAHKS7_IAX9q0dCq&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr3-1.fna&oh=00_AfCs6vC9WpYnB6RowSUzVBef45ePOXvMAmq4c5V4XFOfpg&oe=65B5C9C4.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	6265062

Not my style of music, but I thought it sounded pretty good man. What software did you use? Drum loops? I'm trying to set up my own daw, and am curious about when ever I hear a good recording as to what was used to make that recording. Anyway I give it 2 thumb 's up. Btw, anybody that calls themselves a musician, but can't find some kinda inspiration from any form of music is a poser. I liked it.
    Last edited by 8eezrule; 12-29-2023, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8eezrule View Post
      Not my style of music, but I thought it sounded pretty good man. What software did you use? Drum loops? I'm trying to set up my own daw, and am curious about when ever I hear a good recording as to what was used to make that recording. Anyway I give it 2 thumb 's up. Btw, anybody that calls themselves a musician, but can't find some kinda inspiration from any form of music is a poser. I liked it.
      Thank you!

The drums are not drum loops. I programmed them myself. I don't really play drums, but I know the basics, and well... we all listen to a bunch of good drummers to draw inspiration from. I used Steven Slate Drums for the samples/sample player.

I used Reaper as the DAW... but I did use a bunch of plugins inside Reaper. I don't own many paid plugins, but I did own Ozone and POD Farm at the time. Also the Joey Sturgis clipper. I forget what it's called. I didn't use an actual amp for the leads. I used one of the LePou free plugins with an IR and some delay from POD Farm. The bass tone also had POD Farm involved. This was before Helix was a thing, IIRC. Oh, I also had the TC Electronic reverb that came bundled with my interface! It was pretty good. But as far as EQ, compression, and pretty much anythng else that's fancy, it was Ozone.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-29-2023, 10:41 AM.

Comment

There are some cool riffs here. Nice solid playing and very polished-sounding. My taste in metal doesn't run this way but it's well done. Ever get vocals on any of this stuff?
        Take it to the limit
        Everybody to the limit
        Come on Fhqwhgads

Comment

Sounds great. Melodeath is'nt really my thing (mainly cuz of the screamo-ish vocals), but this is pretty sweet w// nice riffs and ballsy chugs. What Krank is that? Looks like one of the lunchboxes?
          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Seashore View Post
            There are some cool riffs here. Nice solid playing and very polished-sounding. My taste in metal doesn't run this way but it's well done. Ever get vocals on any of this stuff?
            Thanks! I looked for someone to drop some vocals in there for ages, but ultimately found no one. I tried to learn to growl three or four times, but always ended up hurting my throat and getting a cold, LOL. So I just stopped trying altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
              Sounds great. Melodeath is'nt really my thing (mainly cuz of the screamo-ish vocals), but this is pretty sweet w// nice riffs and ballsy chugs. What Krank is that? Looks like one of the lunchboxes?
              Thanks! It was a Krank Rev Jr. It's the 20W version with the 5881's. Not the 50W version (which also runs on 5881's, I believe).
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 12-30-2023, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Very good tone IMO. I like almost all metal music when it is devoid of vocals. Vocals are usually my biggest gripes with about 95% of extreme metal.
                I had the same amp for a few years but always really wanted the 50w krankenstein version (not because of dimebag).

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                  Very good tone IMO. I like almost all metal music when it is devoid of vocals. Vocals are usually my biggest gripes with about 95% of extreme metal.
                  I had the same amp for a few years but always really wanted the 50w krankenstein version (not because of dimebag).
                  Thank you!

I miss that amp... but at the same time, I kind don't. It was REALLY touchy. Anything as much as breathing on the Sweep knob completely destroyed anything you had dialed in. It also had A LOT of sublows. I had to run the bass knob really low, but at that point, it sounded both thin and boomy for some reason, LOL. I also really wished it had a presence knob at times. It was also uncofortably loud to use at home, and if you didn't turn it up, it sounded like a beehive. But it wasn't nearly loud enough (much like all lunchbox amps) for a band. Or it was, it just sounded super farty at that level.

That amp was my baby until I got my 5150III LBX. Then at that point, the LBX did everything I wanted the Krank to and then some more, so I got rid of the Krank.

Comment

BTW, for all the pickup enthusiasts, that's the Het Set for the rhythm tracks on my RGA121.

That's the EMG 81 in the neck of my RG570 for the little leads.

I don't own any of those guitars anymore, sadly.

Comment

That sounds great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        listening back, there is A LOT of stuff that I'd change. TBH, I'd mix those drums a bit lower
                        I'd actually have them a little louder....lol

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          That sounds great.
                          Thank you!

Comment

I dig it. More mids than you'd typically hear in a metal guitar tone, which I appreciate. Good job!
                            "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post
                              I dig it. More mids than you'd typically hear in a metal guitar tone, which I appreciate. Good job!
                              Thank you!

To be fair, it is a pretty mid-heavy setup. Even if I dialed in the mids below 12 o'clock on the Krank, I was using EMG's, a TS-type boost, V30's, and an SM57, so I'm getting my mids from several other stages on the chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X