Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackle in Guitar Recording

Hi all,

I have an issue that's been driving me crazy. Basically a crackling sound in all my guitar recordings. I've tried troubleshooting but can't find the cause. There is no clipping anywhere in the track, in between any plugins. The crackle is present when recording directly into the interface with no plugins loaded. It is there with different cables, different guitar although more prominent with hum buckers.

I'm attaching an audio clip in which there is an amp plugin loaded as it is more prominent this way, however the crackle is audible even without the plugin loaded.

Recording at 48kHz, 128 sample rate (tried 256, didn't solve the problem). Using an M1 Pro Macbook, never had any other issues and a Scarlett 4i4 3rd generation audio interface.

Any ideas would bee highly appreciated!

Audio clip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qmZ...ew?usp=sharing

I really have no idea about such things, but at a complete guess, is it possible that the interface doesn't have enough gain so you are raising instead of lowering the levels, introducing more noise?

Comment

I didn't hear much of a crackle, beyond what sounded like finger noise on the frets and possibly some line noise from the mic. I would try changing mics.

Comment

I’m wondering if you could noise gate that out.

Has it been there since day 1 with that interface or just appeared?

Ideally you could try another interface to rule that one out.

Have you made sure all weird electrical stuff is off in your house? I’ve got some horrible interference from one set of ceiling lights.

Have you gotten away from your computer a bit? I’ve had some computers I’ve needed to physically get away from a bit due to noise.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
          I’m wondering if you could noise gate that out.

Has it been there since day 1 with that interface or just appeared?

Ideally you could try another interface to rule that one out.

Have you made sure all weird electrical stuff is off in your house? I’ve got some horrible interference from one set of ceiling lights.

Have you gotten away from your computer a bit? I’ve had some computers I’ve needed to physically get away from a bit due to noise.
          I don't know if it's been since day 1 of the interface as I only recently started noticing. Might be electrical bits.

Comment

Working...
          X