Old CD from the Stone Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old CD from the Stone Age

Back in the mid-80's a pal of mine and I recorded a short song for fun in a 16 track studio. The resulting 2 minute 22 second tune actually got 2 weeks of radio play on 2 local radio stations. Dr. Demento even played it once or twice on his radio show. The studio gave us some cassette copies to give to local bands, radio stations, and for family and friends. Eventually, the tapes wore out or got lost. Sometime in the mid-90's my pal recorded a CD of the tune by using a copy of a copy of an original cassette. The sound had degraded quite a bit. My guitar parts were buried in the kick drum and keyboard parts, and the whole thing sounded pretty lower midrangey. Many of the sound effects were gone, too - but the vocals were still understandable,

Should I upload FOOD BUDDY to YouTube?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Absolutely!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah! Gimme gimme!
      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I'd love to hear it.

Comment

FOOD BUDDY is incoming. One of my pals is tweaking the EQ of the CD to get the sound less sludgy.

I remember the original sessions clearly. The initial session was 12 hours, with my buddy Metz working for 8 hours to get the kick drum more massive. The guitar track was one take. I used a Warmoth Strat into an old 100 watt Sundown amp that was dimed to get the sound "grindy" enough (explains the feedback). Keys, bass, and main vocals were one take. The second session the next week was 8 hours of vocal and sound effect overdubs (including some backward stuff and a cardboard record of a funny car cut from the side of a cereal box), plus final mixing. 20 hours in the studio for a song less than 3 minutes.
          Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-09-2024, 06:24 PM.

Comment

If Dr. Demento ever played it, then he has a pristine copy. I'd reach out and see if you can get a dub of his.

Comment

Photographic proof of existence...

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD FB.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	6273661

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                If Dr. Demento ever played it, then he has a pristine copy. I'd reach out and see if you can get a dub of his.
                They’re like magicians. A radio station played our second to last single which was only available on CD because we were launching it that night aI have no idea how the announcer git it outside of having some deal with the pressing/printing place we used.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

You wanted the best - you got the best!
                  THE JUDGES!!!!!!!!!

Yes (hangs head in shame), that's me in the leather.

Food Buddy 1080WebShareName (youtube.com)
                  Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-11-2024, 09:02 PM.

Comment

I actually think I recognize that song - when it hit the mimicking of the drive thru speaker, I can remember hearing that on Dr. Demento's syndicated radio show. There were a couple other similarly-themed tunes somewhere around that time and he was playing them as a set.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                      I actually think I recognize that song - when it hit the mimicking of the drive thru speaker, I can remember hearing that on Dr. Demento's syndicated radio show. There were a couple other similarly-themed tunes somewhere around that time and he was playing them as a set.
                      Like Tenacious D and Psychostick? (Drive thru/Deathburger

Comment

Working...
                      X