midi question (guitar gear)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi question (guitar gear)

This is sort of the cart before the horse, as I don't have the controller yet, but if anyone knows it should help speed up my programming.

I want to use a controller (midi mongoose) to change presets/patches/channels on my marshall jmp-1. The marshall simultaneously sends midi messages for each preset. I want to have some presets control an effect (let's say my harley benton dna fx, which has one midi receive/send jack).

Some marshall presets will be dry, so I guess I'll have it send to a "blank/thru" preset on the effect unit.

For the marshall presets that I want to have an effect with (like delay), the manual for the dna fx indicates that the unit has two banks (Bank 0 and Bank 1) of 128 values that correspond to the unit's presets.

Question: how will the marshall "know" which bank I want it to direct? The jmp-1 manual does not have any mention of banks (and maybe predates that midi development). I'm guessing it will only be able to control 1 bank (maybe Bank 0?). I don't really need it to control 2 banks but would like to know how this stuff works.

I should note that I deliberately opted for a simple channel switching midi controller as opposed to a more complicated one that I'd have to program a lot to control two devices independently. If I can't easily have the jmp-1 control another unit, I'll just run effects through the loop like a stompbox or through the front.
    Last edited by DankStar; 05-28-2024, 09:23 AM.

If I am reading this right, that's what setting each unit to a different midi channel is for. The unit only 'listens' on that particular channel.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      If I am reading this right, that's what setting each unit to a different midi channel is for. The unit only 'listens' on that particular channel.
      I think I get the channel thing. I’m going to set everything on the same channel. But there’s a code that the Marshall sends out to affect the second unit between 0-127. I think it’s just on Bank 0, whereas newer equipment may have multiple banks the Marshall can’t be programmed for.

Comment

Why would they be on the same channel? If they are on different channels, you can program the controller to send out the messages you need. You don't have to worry about what the Marshall can send out.

Comment

Why would they be on the same channel? If they are on different channels, you can program the controller to send out the messages you need. You don't have to worry about what the Marshall can send out.
          The midi mongoose is a stripped down controller. You pick a channel to use. It’s not that programmable. The Marshall’s “send messages” function is like a work-around solution.
          Last edited by DankStar; 05-29-2024, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Gotcha. I'd probably look for a 'smarter' controller. But in the mean time, study the Marshall manual.

Comment

Gotcha. I'd probably look for a 'smarter' controller. But in the mean time, study the Marshall manual.
              I'm actually cool with it - I initially just wanted a typical footswitch for my marshall, but there's only one dude that makes replacements on ebay and they are as much as a midi controller. I figured I'd use a midi controller to change patches, and that way I can use it with other gear too. I didn't want one of those giant midi boards with a dozen buttons, but maybe down the road if I find I like this midi stuff. If the marshall can't control an effects unit like I'm thinking, I'll just use a little pedal board of effects (I barely use any).

Comment

They make really tiny midi boards these days, much smaller than the mongoose, and that can send all kinds of messages on press, hold, and release.

Comment

They make really tiny midi boards these days, much smaller than the mongoose, and that can send all kinds of messages on press, hold, and release.
                  I may take the plunge

Comment

What’s with these Bluetooth midi controllers? Do modern modelers have Bluetooth midi channel switching?

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                      What’s with these Bluetooth midi controllers? Do modern modelers have Bluetooth midi channel switching?
                      The thing you are controlling (first in line) has to be able to receive a Bluetooth signal. Some Katanas can, and I am sure a few other amps. It is just as easy to use a midi cable, and in the end, more reliable.

Comment

Working...
                      X