banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the problem w/ cheap axes, (analog) solid state tone & 10" speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often wonder what "TR. shift" stands for?
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Which brings me to the Aria Pro II Fullerton axe I bought late last year...

Nice strat type poplar HSS budget axe...except I did'nt gel w/ the neck single coil which was a bit too dark/muddy for my taste.

I finally got around to swapping it out for a SD 'lil 59 which sounds fantastic! Way way better than the stock single..

Ballad (cuz that's mostly what neck pups are good for :)

Plugged into my Randall T2's Lead 2 (boosted) channel -> Laney Eminence 2x12 cab w/ only one mic on the Swamp Thang side

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Blue guitar neck pup tone comparison w/ an SS amp

Youtube

Comment

The Aria is very much what could be described as a 'cheap axe', pretty much on par with others like my Kramer Baretta & GIO price-wise and yet again this thing is second to none when it comes to playability ...in other words it shreds w/ the best of them

..and after swapping out the neck pup which was it's Achilles heel...it sounds pretty ****in' sweet too

Comes with a baked maple neck & Wilkinson Strat bridge w/ a big steel block (which personally is'nt a game changer for me since I like pot metal tone & am fine w/ dinky blocks ) but it's cool to have those features at this price..

Upped the pace a bit ...& it passed w/ flying colors. Yes it's a player

That's ^^ w/ the stock bridge pup. (Forgot to change that in the video title/description)
          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 06-16-2024, 10:59 PM.

Youtube

Comment

And pedal to the metal w/ the ash RG370 + T2

Youtube

Comment

And the same thing again w/ my neck-through RGT w/ the Randall & Laney Eminence 2x12 (ManOwar mic'd with my AT2020 condenser)

So that little experiment showed that there was no huge leap upwards tone-wise as we went from budget to kinda mid-tier to kinda pricier axes

Also "country of origin" made bugger-all of a difference as well

Youtube

Comment

Ok that last one was w/ the ManOwar mic'd instead Of the swamp thang, but eh ..it gets kinda boring otherwise :

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                  TR shift On's a bit louder too..and kinda spongier feeling...like you can "dig in" more.

Like I said, hard to describe...the feel changes too..
                  Wow, I don’t know. It’s not in the specs and I assume not in the manual. Treble shift? Troublemakers shift? You shift them out of the way and the tone clears up?
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Chalk it down to one of the many wondrous mysteries of the universe

RGT w/ Both speakers mic'd (ManOwar & Swamp thang) for the sake of scientific completeness

They do combine really great though

Youtube

Comment

You've stated your case and made some fairly compelling arguments. I have decided, on behalf of the board of directors, to rule in favor that "made cheaply does not always imply cheaply made".
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Speaking of cheaply made.

You can see he's having fun & also sense his wonder/confusion @ it being solid state

Just killer sounding amps for what they cost (and their misleading size....these are extremely loud and will easily keep up w/ a loud drummer) & I defy anyone who played one blind to ever be able to tell it was'nt a tube amp;

I know I'm not able to...not even close.

Having said that, these are a lot more Marshall sounding/feeling than the tube Ironheart's... Those have more of their own thing going, although still a British sound but with a bit of Recto/5150 flavor thrown in too.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                        X