How would you pick this part?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you pick this part?

I'm having difficulty with the sixteenth note lead line in The Strokes' "Reptilia" and was wondering if you guys could give me any picking tips. I've tried to figure out some patterns but they don't seem to be working...my fingers end up turning into spagetti!

|-7-------10-9-------9--|-7-----7-10-9-----12-9-|-7----7-10-9----12-9-|-9-------9--10-7-----9-|
    |----7--10------7--10---|----8----------10------|----8---------10-----|----7--8------------7----|

Re: How would you pick this part?

The Alignments off
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Closed Eye
      I'm having difficulty with the sixteenth note lead line in The Strokes' "Reptilia" and was wondering if you guys could give me any picking tips. I've tried to figure out some patterns but they don't seem to be working...my fingers end up turning into spagetti!

|-7-------10-9-------9--|-7-----7-10-9-----12-9-|-7----7-10-9----12-9-|-9-------9--10-7-----9-|
      |----7--10------7--10---|----8----------10------|----8---------10-----|----7--8------------7----|

go out of position to play this note with your second finger .. then slide back down to the 7th position with your first finger for THIS note.. see if that helps .. and obviously you'll be needing your pinky on this tune
      gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Lots of string crossing? Depends. If it's 2 notes per string, like 2 notes on E, then 2 on B, etc, I might practice the exact picking pattern, trying to keep upstrokes for one string and downstrokes for the other, such as ^ ^ _ _ ^ ^

Or I might just do ^ _ ^ _ up down up down for all, but you want it to feel natural. I've never been that good at alternating picking anyways, so me, I might drop my pick "accidentally" and use fingers.
        My Music Page
        Originally posted by vinterland
        I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
        Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

just check out the video of the song or the live thing from fuse, both show the guitarist playing it.....cool song....
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
          X