What are you guys using for Drums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you guys using for Drums?

What gets you realistic drum sounds without having to mic up a drum kit? I'm thinking specifically rock drum sounds, but if you use something for other genres that also sounds very realistic, lets hear about it!
    Richard

Free Shred Guitar Lessons
    Marshall Mods

Re: What are you guys using for Drums?

If you're using a computer, BFD by fxpansion is awesome. The down side is it is expensive and your computer needs 2 gig of ram to run it right.

FXpansion - UK based music software developers - makers of BFD3, Geist2, Strobe2 and Cypher2.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Wow - that's a whole lotta RAM. I think I'm running 256MB lol.
      Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

jeez i could use a good drum program too, specifically a vst plugin. ive got groove agent but i cant figure out how to properly sync it with midi files.
        [SIZE=1]Guitars:
        Gibson 2001 Les Paul Classic Premium w/ SD JB/59N
        Fender American Deluxe Strat (still stock SCNs)
        Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
        Marshall AVT 50(on the bay)
        Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue

Comment

That's what I'd prefer - I'd like to be able to edit the drums in midi, then use midi imports to trigger the drum program
          Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

97% of the time it's real drums played by a real person and recorded with real microphones, no triggers or anything unless it's a metal band & I know we're gonna be triggering samples. If that's the case I'll hang 'em right at the start.

If I need to augment what we have I'll turn to Drumagog. It's great because I can add my own samples & I'll usually build a library that's specific to that project. It's pretty painless to use too...

I dunno if it'll do what you need since I have less then zero use for MIDI anything in my shop, but when I need to replace less then steller sounds it's the clear winner IMO.
            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
            mixer|producer|recordist
            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I've been looking at this? www.drumcore.com It looks like what i need? But I'd hate to drop 2 beans on it to find it Sux. Right now I'm using band in a box . I find a beat that's close,Make a midi file , bring it into fruity loops,Tweak it and add real drum samples. (A lot of work to get rigid groove less drum tracks ) Anytime my band has gone into a pro studio the bassist and drummer have them selfs a Lil' cream puff war. (Nothing more pathetic to watch 2 grown men argue like 2 13 year old girls ) So I need a solution to that problem. (i.e.) Subtract one EGO! from the equation. So at $50+ and hour studio time. This would pay for itself if it can do what they claim?
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by J Moose
                97% of the time it's real drums played by a real person and recorded with real microphones, no triggers or anything unless it's a metal band & I know we're gonna be triggering samples. If that's the case I'll hang 'em right at the start.

If I need to augment what we have I'll turn to Drumagog. It's great because I can add my own samples & I'll usually build a library that's specific to that project. It's pretty painless to use too...

I dunno if it'll do what you need since I have less then zero use for MIDI anything in my shop, but when I need to replace less then steller sounds it's the clear winner IMO.

Another vote for Drumagog..you can record entire songs with nothing more than a microphone, a pencil (or other item to tap your desk with) and the drumagog program! It's amazing
                Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
                It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

If your like me and HATE, I mean HATE putting your guitar down to mess with drums and the computer, you have get into using loops. I love the ones at www.betamonkeymusic.com For $30 you get a cd full of great usable loops and they are ACID'ized so you can change the tempos of any of them. I just drag and drop parts right in.. simple..

Heres one I did 2 weeks ago with the BetaMonkey double-bass set:
                  Hair Metal, Glam Metal or Hard Rock. Call it whatever you want. We simply love the 1980s Hair Metal culture and attitude and this is a place to celebrate all vintage and modern bands of the genre
                  Dirrty Hairy - A Tribute To Hair Metal

'05 Splawn/Mansel Custom Strat
                  '95 PRS Custom 24
                  '89 PRS CE 24

'05 Splawn Quick Rod
                  '04 Splawn Quick Rod
                  Splawn 4-12
                  Marshall JCM 800 4-12

Comment

v-drums
                    Originally posted by krankguitarist
                    And I *really* wouldn't lop Affliction and Ed Hardy in the same category. Affliction stuff can have a sense of subtlety to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DirrtyCraig
                      If your like me and HATE, I mean HATE putting your guitar down to mess with drums and the computer, you have get into using loops. I love the ones at www.betamonkeymusic.com For $30 you get a cd full of great usable loops and they are ACID'ized so you can change the tempos of any of them. I just drag and drop parts right in.. simple..

Heres one I did 2 weeks ago with the BetaMonkey double-bass set:
                      http://hair-metal.com/tunes/splawn3.mp3
                      I've got away with using loops so far, I'm just concerned about when it comes to recording my songs/albums properly that I won't be able to just throw down any old loop and make it interesting. I guess it's probably the easiest option though - I'll have to go and dig out that CD of recorded loops that came with my DAW!
                      Richard

Marshall Mods

Comment

Originally posted by CapoFirstFret
                        Another vote for Drumagog..you can record entire songs with nothing more than a microphone, a pencil (or other item to tap your desk with) and the drumagog program! It's amazing
                        Yeah, you could I guess but I don't use it like that.

I'm using it to fix "problems" with drum sounds that might not match the song. Like say the drummer used a really big snare, like a 7x14 mahogany on one song and the 'note' of the drum is too low for the song...it's kinda muddy and doesn't cut through the mix the way anyone wants it to. I'll fire up Drumagog and find a sample of a small snare, like a 3x13 and trigger that from the recorded snare...blending together the "meat" of the big drum and the slice of the little drum. I'll do the same thing with kicks & toms too and it's never replacement, always augmenting.

Well, 99.6% of the time anyway.

Create 'yer own loops...be original! Be musical, think like a drummer!

J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                        mixer|producer|recordist
                        mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                        All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I've tended towards the sample and loop domain myself, more out of ease and familiarity than any studied decision that they're the only way to go. I've done entire songs with pre-made loops, which is easy but can feel rather bland. I've built entire patterns from one-shots, which takes forever but can yeild a much more tailored-to-the-song result. Most often, I mix the two up: pre-made loops -- preferably ones that don't feel too mechanical -- plus hand-added accents and transitions. I'm definitely still learning my way, but the recent addition of some Drums on Demand stuff has made it MUCH easier for me. I really dig how those collections are organized and the loops are much more usable than many I've tried before.

I work with them in ACID, usually recording a couple of scratch tracks as a guide, but sometimes I just site there with a guitar in hand and play along with it over and over -- helps with getting me nice and solid on the parts by the time I'm actually recording -- and then export the results in Audition.
                          Last edited by St_Genesius; 02-07-2006, 06:09 PM.
                          ---------------------------
                          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                            I find a beat that's close,Make a midi file , bring it into fruity loops,Tweak it and add real drum samples. (A lot of work to get rigid groove less drum tracks ) ?

The only version of Fruity Loops I've tried was pretty old ('99 ish?), and didn't seem to have a function for assembling individual patterns into song format. Do the newer versions offer that capability? My buddy is always on the lookout for a program that will simulate the Alesis or Yamaha drum machine experience.

Originally posted by kmcguitars
                            I (Nothing more pathetic to watch 2 grown men argue like 2 13 year old girls )
                            Could be worse. Could be watching them argue ~with~ 13 year old girls.

Comment

a boss DR-3

got it today.. gonna try to record somehting tomorrow

Comment

Working...
                              X