Question for Marin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Marin

Hey Marin, I know you've got one, so I just have a question about the Engl Screamer. What kind of tubes has it got in the poweramp and preamp? I couldn't find the info anywhere....sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'd like to know.

Re: Question for Marin

Engl Screamer has 4 ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes and 2 5881/6L6GC power tubes.
    You can get info on the web site : http://www.engl-amps.com/
    Pickups used :
    Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
    PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
    PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
    PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
    PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
    PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
    PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
    PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
    PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
    Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
    Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
    SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

hey ocifer...is that brian may playing a strum stick in your avatar?
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

It IS Brian May, but it's not a strum stick, it's the neck of his guitar there. It's a weird angle, and that tilt at the end is the headstock.

Here's a bigger pic: http://www.artyhelen.com/brian.jpg

Comment

oo i see it now, lol, thanks for clearing that up...
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by Ocifer
            Hey Marin, I know you've got one, so I just have a question about the Engl Screamer. What kind of tubes has it got in the poweramp and preamp? I couldn't find the info anywhere....sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'd like to know.
            The pre-amps tubes are labelled Eng Ecc83 and the power amp tubes are ENGL 5881.

ENGL doesn't make tubes and these are rebranded Sovteks. One of my preamp tubes still has the Sovtek label (12AX7WB) and I presume the output tubes are either the Sovtek 5881's or 6L6GCs.

I recently replaced all the tubes with Electro Harmonix ones. Whilst the poweramp tubes (6L6EH) sound ok, the preamp tubes (12ax7EH) sounded too harsh and trebly. I put back the WBs and everything sounded OK once again.

I think that the Screamer works better with slighlty "darker" pre-amp tubes.

Hope this helps.

Marin
            °
            my stuff

Comment

BTW, Marin do you record in a soundproof room when using your Screamer... I know you mic it sometimes, but where's the amp in relation to yourself and the actual PC/recording station?

Comment

BTW, Marin do you record in a soundproof room when using your Screamer... I know you mic it sometimes, but where's the amp in relation to yourself and the actual PC/recording station?
                I record in a normal room at room level volume. I stick the mike right in front of the cone. The amp is under the desk where I have my pc.
                °
                my stuff

Comment

I know 12AX7 tubes in the pre-amps usually sound good overdriven...have you ever tried it with a treble booster, not a distortion/overdrive pedal?

Comment

bump

Comment

Bumpy...oh...marin, I also have another question: What does the VLS ratio option do? I couldn't quite understand it on the Engl site.

BTW, sorry to keep asking you questions about the Screamer, it's just that I'm really looking into getting one.
                      Last edited by Ocifer; 06-03-2004, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Bumpy...oh...marin, I also have another question: What does the VLS ratio option do? I couldn't quite understand it on the Engl site.

BTW, sorry to keep asking you questions about the Screamer, it's just that I'm really looking into getting one.
                        Hi, sorry I didn't see your post....

No, I haven't ever used a treble booster.

The VLS is a usefull command which can be controlled by the Engl footswitch. Basically, there is a knob on the amp which allows you to set a "low" volume and a "high" volume mode for the amp.

The footswitch allows you to switch between these 2 modes. It's very usefull when you need to switch from rythm to solo when playing with a band.

Marin
                        °
                        my stuff

Comment

Working...
                        X