Should I get a Line6 Toneport UX2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a Line6 Toneport UX2?

I was looking at the toneport and was wondering if I should get it. I am new to recording (but i have a little zoom 4-track). I would use it as a headphone practice amp and for direct recording if the sounds are good. I want to use it to record band practices, myself (with multiple tracks) and maybe my band for demos. I would use it with a dell laptop. Do I need to get a recording program? Is it all worth it? I figured it is less than most DAWs.

Re: Should I get a Line6 Toneport UX2?

It's not particularly well suited for recording an entire band at once, though if you're going thorugh a mixer, you should be able to send those stereo outputs into LIne 1 and Line 2 and do it that way. For home recording, no more than two tracks at a time, it really shines. I saw someone else here mention that they're having latency problems on their rig, which they seemed to think SHOULD be up to the task, but I've no such trouble with mine. Neither has my buiddy who also has one, for that matter, and he's on a nearly 4 year old Dell.

It comes with a stripped down version of Ableton Live. I can't imagine choosing to stick with that, but it'll do in a pinch. The track "Got Me Pegged" on the site in my sig was done entirely with the UX2. Guitar, bass and vocals all used Toneport models. While I'm sure Line6 would shudder at the thought of someone using ME as an example of what their product can do, it's there.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

i am really happy with that!!!
      All of my clips are recorded with the ux2... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=493381

The latency problem occurs ,when you dont use asio2.0 .you can hear always from headphones output without latency.it is hardware monitoring!!!

You can download new model packs ,wich is way more better than the original ones.
      ANd ,aleton live full version is a very good program..i use it and i am very satisfyed.But the limited line 6 version allows you to record maximum 4 tracks for a song...And this is not enough!!!

it works with cubase sx 3 well.but not with lower versions.

Very good sound quality and nice controls ,maybe not for a tone studio.but is perfect to use with a laptop ,u can take it everywhere with you.And you can use two amps together with an y cable!!!
      as i sad.i am impressed and happy with this gadget..
      www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

I've been real happy with mine. As previously noted, it might be tough recording the whole band without a mixer, but for songwriting at home and practicing, its great. I also like being able to dial in tones to match CDs and mp3s right through my headphones (I live in an apartment, so too much open air amp tweaking is a ). Overall, best low $$$ music investment I've made this year.

Comment

I was ready to pull the trigger on the TonePort untill I noticed it said Minimuim 512MB of ram! I'm useing a 5 year old Compaq w/t 256 Mb of ram. This machine use's Rambus Ram. The chips have to be changed in pairs and would cost me over $200 to get this thing pass 512mb's of ram. So The UX2 idea is on hold. (Would you put $200 into a 5 year old computer?) For another $300 I'll just get a new machine (W/t DDR ram)
          http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

i like my UX2 very much ... runs flawlessly with my old dell - 2GHz, half a gig ram and only usb 1.1 ... no latency problems ... coupled it with sonar/cakewalk home ... much better than the crippled ableton live that it came with

wouldnt cut it for a whole band unless you have a real good mixer running in front and just want live to two tracks

good luck
            t4d
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius
              I saw someone else here mention that they're having latency problems on their rig, which they seemed to think SHOULD be up to the task, but I've no such trouble with mine. Neither has my buiddy who also has one, for that matter, and he's on a nearly 4 year old Dell.
              That might have been me, but I'm running the Guitar Port with Riff Tracker software, not the Toneport. I still can't figure out why I've got latency issues... I'm running an Athlon 2000 (P4 3.2 Ghz equivilent) 64 bit processor with 1.25 GB RAM through USB 2.0. My problems are worst when I've got multiple models running while recording.

But that's all pretty useless information because it doesn't really apply to the Toneport.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

My understnading is that the software side of the Toneport is pretty similar to that of the Guitar Port, but I've only used the TP, so I can't say for sure. Still, you're running a more robust system than I am and even when I'm recording from both the mic and the instrument inputs, with seperate models, effects, etc. for each not encountering any troubles, either through the headphones or when I monitor through my nearfields, which are hooked to the main outputs of the UX2.

I won't bother you with a list of all the things that COULD be causing trouble, but with that much horsepower and that simple a task, it really does sound like this might be a symptom of something else.
                Last edited by St_Genesius; 03-01-2006, 06:59 PM.
                ---------------------------
                The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Thanks eveyone. When I mean record my band live, I mean I would set two mikes up at a practice.

Comment

Originally posted by G&Legacy
                    Thanks eveyone. When I mean record my band live, I mean I would set two mikes up at a practice.
                    Thats same kind thing I was thinking doing if I got one, so I could record my amp and vocals at the same time.
                    Fender MIM Strat 59 trembucker bridge/Super II neck
                    Edwards 56' Goldtop 2 x SD P90-1s
                    Marshall JCM 900 MKIV 2100 slx
                    Marshall JCM 900 1936 Celestion GT-75/Vintage 30 cab,
                    Fender Frontman 15g
                    Cry Baby
                    Boss DS-2
                    Boss CE-3
                    Danelectro Wasabi

Comment

Originally posted by G&Legacy
                      you can plug 2 mics into the UX2 and run the simultaniously without a mixer. but that is a really bad way to record a band, even if the mics are good.
                      my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
                      fender dg20ce acoustic
                      peavey blazer 15 watt
                      line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
                      Atomic Reactor 112
                      Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by clint_41
                        you can plug 2 mics into the UX2 and run the simultaniously without a mixer. but that is a really bad way to record a band, even if the mics are good.
                        Not to sound like a ****, but why is that a bad way to record a band live?, i used one dynamic mic into a zoom 4-track and it turned out pretty decent.

Comment

depends on your needs and expectations

if you just want a snapshot to hear what the band sounds like, it's fine ... tweak with mic placements to get the best possible clarity and you're on your way

if you are looking for high quality, demo, etc, it really is suboptimal because you'll not be able to treat each individual instrument / voice separately for best results

you might end up with odd cancellations in a 2 live mic setup that end up with a queer EQ ... and the drums hardly ever sound good into room mics ...

cheers
                          t4d
                          gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                          X