Best mic placement on amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best mic placement on amp?

Hey guys im just wondering where to place the mic when recording to get the best possible sound. this is just me recording with a cheap mic through my computer. im using a 2x12 flextone. should it be up as close to the cloth as possible? by one speaker or between them both? high or low.. etc...

Re: Best mic placement on amp?

use your ears and you decide
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

Depends on the mic, the amp, the room, and a million other factors. Move it around until you like the sound you're getting. Start it nose to the cloth right in the center of the cab and go from there. When you have it set just right, make an X on the floor with tape so you know where to put it again in case it falls over or gets moved accidentally.
      Band: www.colouredanimal.com
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
      Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

I agree - you have to use your ear for this.

But what I do - I place a mic about 1 inch from the speaker - actually as close as I can so it doesn't bump it. Don't go to the center of the speaker, about half way between the center and the edge. Any speaker will work - unless you're like me and have a 2x12 with two different speakers - then go for tone.

Then I place a second mic somewhere in the room to get an ambient sound. This gives it a touch of delay. I generally put each mic into a separate track - specifically into the right and left channels of one track, then blend to taste later.
        Rick
        (the original Rick James!)

Sing unto Him a new song; play skillfully with a LOUD noise. Psalm 33:3
        Lincoln Brewster Kutless Newsboys Third Day David Crowder U2

Comment

Originally posted by RW James
          I agree - you have to use your ear for this.

But what I do - I place a mic about 1 inch from the speaker - actually as close as I can so it doesn't bump it. Don't go to the center of the speaker, about half way between the center and the edge. Any speaker will work - unless you're like me and have a 2x12 with two different speakers - then go for tone.

Then I place a second mic somewhere in the room to get an ambient sound. This gives it a touch of delay. I generally put each mic into a separate track - specifically into the right and left channels of one track, then blend to taste later.
          This is good advice, just be aware that if you do this you will normally get big phasing issues if you have to mix the track down to mono. Sounds cool in stereo though . . .
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
          X