Honest amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest amp question

Question. I have a Fender amp (see below). I have a Boss ME-50. I love them both, but not as much together. Boss ME-50 Line Out (has amp modeling) into any sound mixer, keyboard amp, or even a TV set with a nice set of speakers, sounds excellent with all defaults for any patch (well, almost any, except the weird space echo patch lol). Running only my guitar into the amp sounds excellent and everything works fine. Running through ME-50 to amp (left and right amp out, no amp modelling) sounds just wrong. Not bad, just not good. Amp needs to be refurbished, but not for sound quality. Is this bad? What should I do? Why?
    My Music Page
    Originally posted by vinterland
    I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
    Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Re: Honest amp question

Do you're amp have an effects loop? running it thru the loop would sound better i'd assume

Comment

Originally posted by larry_emder
      Do you're amp have an effects loop? running it thru the loop would sound better i'd assume
      1972 Fender Twin Reverb? Nope....
      My Music Page
      I don't know how he made his guitar sound like a carnival ride but he managed to.
      Gear: Hot-Rodded ESP LTD EC-100QM; 1972 Fender Twin Reverb; Boss ME-50 Multieffects Board; Ovation Celebrity Custom CS247; Ibanez RX240 two classic stacks and a JB trembucker <- next project

Comment

Originally posted by neosadist
        Question. I have a Fender amp (see below). I have a Boss ME-50. I love them both, but not as much together. Boss ME-50 Line Out (has amp modeling) into any sound mixer, keyboard amp, or even a TV set with a nice set of speakers, sounds excellent with all defaults for any patch (well, almost any, except the weird space echo patch lol). Running only my guitar into the amp sounds excellent and everything works fine. Running through ME-50 to amp (left and right amp out, no amp modelling) sounds just wrong. Not bad, just not good. Amp needs to be refurbished, but not for sound quality. Is this bad? What should I do? Why?
        Most of the newer pedals run a signal level that is much hotter than almost any amp made before 1990 was ever designed to handle. Pedals like the ME-50 didn't remotely exist when this amp was designed, nor were even semi high-gain PU's...
        So, make sure the level that's coming out of your ME-50 is almost the same as the guitar plugged straight into the amp.... The bypass function on these is not true bypass at all, so it can get confusing. No pedal, processor or any device should really ever be "louder" than plugging straight in. There are amps that can benefit from "pushing the input", but a Twin isn't one of them....(before you all even start, were talking about processors with the capability of pushing line level signals, not an SD-1!) The Twin is by far the most widely used and pedal friendly amp ever made, so long as your not slamming the front end.

..hope that helped more than confused, if not ask more!

Jeff Seal
        ..lots and lots of toys!

"...swords and tequila, carry me through the fight!"

"I am Phil"....
        www.houstonamprepair.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Seal
          Most of the newer pedals run a signal level that is much hotter than almost any amp made before 1990 was ever designed to handle. Pedals like the ME-50 didn't remotely exist when this amp was designed, nor were even semi high-gain PU's...
          So, make sure the level that's coming out of your ME-50 is almost the same as the guitar plugged straight into the amp.... The bypass function on these is not true bypass at all, so it can get confusing. No pedal, processor or any device should really ever be "louder" than plugging straight in. There are amps that can benefit from "pushing the input", but a Twin isn't one of them....(before you all even start, were talking about processors with the capability of pushing line level signals, not an SD-1!) The Twin is by far the most widely used and pedal friendly amp ever made, so long as your not slamming the front end.

..hope that helped more than confused, if not ask more!

Jeff Seal
          Thanks. Well the documentation for my pedal says that with master volume at middle value, it's same as a plugged in guitar. With the default patches played along side my guitar, this is normally true. However, I was going to send this amp in for a refurbishing. I could ask them to install Line In / Out jacks while it's there, and/or effects return/send ....

As for overdriven sound, however, this amp will always outshine any pedal IMHO....
          My Music Page

Comment

Working...
          X