Good Morning...my tone stinks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Morning...my tone stinks.

Well, since I've been trying to learn micing / recording techniques after YEARS of noodling around on the guitar I've decided that my tone basically stinks. SOMETHING certainly stinks and I know my tone is part of it.

I've read it here more than once and now I know it as fact. The tone you get when you're noodling around by yourself in the living room is one thing...the tone you need to get when you start recording is another. Mine sounds weak and fizzy, no real oomph. I have noticed an improvement when I layer 2-3 tracks, it sounds better but still doesn't have that initial thump when I palm mute....more expereimentation tonight!

Any general tips you guys can give me? I'm all ears. I'm experimenting with mic placement ( I've got an Audix i5 and a Rode NT2-A )

I believe I'm also starting to see a limitation in the stock Ibanez V8 / V7 pickups...little or no clarity / definition during muted 16th note chugga chuggas. Just mushy.

Anywho, Ya'll have a good day and if you have any tips or things I may need to look for, throw them my way!

Scott

Re: Good Morning...my tone stinks.

Are you comparing your tone to professionally mastered cd's? Cause professionally mastered/recorded cd's are going to have a lot more thump than a home studio recording.

I've never played stock Ibanez pickups so I can't comment but, its something to look into. Also look at your amp, your pre, and your entire signal chain. If there's a weak link in any of it, you'll hear it. Above all though, I don't think you can expect us to give you a golden answer to fix all your problems here.
    Speak through your fingers

Comment

Post a clip for diagnosis, stat!
      -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

Originally posted by vinterland
        Above all though, I don't think you can expect us to give you a golden answer to fix all your problems here.
        Oh yeah.....I can and DO!

I realize my original post was very general and open ended. Mostly a vent. I will re-record the guitars tonight and post them.

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT502
          Oh yeah.....I can and DO!

I realize my original post was very general and open ended. Mostly a vent. I will re-record the guitars tonight and post them.

Why don't you give us a run down on your equipment first, or at least the signal chain.

Comment

You know I was kiddin don't you?

Anyway, 2 mics....as listed above, Vox Valvetronix VTX or whatever 60 watt single 12" combo... Presonus Inspire...Mac running Cubase (the light version) and Logic Express.

Guitar...stock RGA 121

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTT502
              You know I was kiddin don't you?
              Yes, yes. I don't have any experience with the that Vox. Does it sound at all thin or fuzzy or whatever just by itself?

Comment

No, not really, It's got presence control as well as e.q. and I can dial in some decent tones. I have had to change my settings on the amp since I've been trying to record. It sounds a lot different on tape than it does jamming in the bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething
                  Post a clip for diagnosis, stat!
                  +1
                  Guitars:
                  G&L Legacy Special
                  Amps:
                  Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
                  Effects:
                  Keeley Compressor, FulltoneFulldrive II, TC Electronics Nova Delay

Comment

Will re-record and post tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

Comment

THose voxes dont really have the best speakers for recording.
                      Ibanez SZ520 (APHn/APHb)

Comment

Working...
                      X