Different types of vibrato and inflections when bending notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different types of vibrato and inflections when bending notes

I'm very lucky in that next week I'm going to see The Eagles live in concert for the second time in my life

So, to get myself in the mood I've been learning a few of my favourite solos. Yeah.. you've guessed it, I tried tackling Hotel California first...

Even though technically I can play the notes well enough, I realised just how much my bending and vibrato sounded out of place when playing along side the CD. I've been heavily influenced by players such as Gilbert and Friedman who have huge wide rock vibratos, and I've spent ages working towards being able to control my own vibrato in a similar way...

However, in the context of an Eagles song the wide rock vibrato and my inflections when picking notes to bend (I tend to really attack a string when I'm going to bend a note) really don't suit the music at all.

Henceforth I've realised that playing in a different style is not only a case of learning the right notes to play, but how to play them convincingly.

Just wanted to share what I think some players might overlook : the importance of inflection and feel (including vibrato+bends) when playing a certain style, and having the capability to vary them when necessary
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: Different types of vibrato and inflections when bending notes

very cool thread. I have gone back and listened to some of those solo's and they still sound fantastic. there is so much "slow burn" -slide and bend- feel in Hotel California. I also like other solo's from the Eagles such as One of these nights, In the city (cool slide lick), Heart ache tonight (great slide licks) ext......

Comment

Re: Different types of vibrato and inflections when bending notes

This thread reminds me of a time in the studio years ago... I had agreed to lay down a vocal track for a composer at school. His composition was sort of pop/rock and he wanted a very dry, non-operatic voice. I think I was a poor choice because I'm a classically-trained singer who has studied plenty of Italian & German arias--therefore I tend to use quite a bit of vibrato when I sing (especially back then). This guy made me sing and sing and sing and kept saying "can the vibrato, can the vibrato!" I tried and tried to lose the vibrato, but even when I thought I was singing with no vibrato, he still wasn't happy.

That day, I learned the same lesson you mentioned: Being able to sing/play the notes of a song doesn't necessarily mean you can capture the appropriate expression and style for a particular genre. Each genre has its own tricks and signature sounds that don't necessarily stem from the type of pickups you have in your guitar or the modeler patch you've selected on your Guitar Pod.

That's a valuable discovery!

--Nightrunner
      Main Axes:
      "Midnight" - Jackson Soloist Pro XL - JB (b) / Classic Stack Plus (m) / 'Lil Screamin' Demon (n)
      Schecter C1 E/A - JB (b) / Jazz (n)
      "Mayhem" - Schecter C7 Blackjack - Custom-7 (b) / '59-7 (n)
      B.C. Rich NJ Classic Mockingbird (stock pups for now)

My band's MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/successionmusic

Comment

Working...
      X