An old fave of mine from Jeff Beck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old fave of mine from Jeff Beck

Haven't been posting much lately, been nursing a case of inflamed wrist tendons. Had to lay off playing for a while. Just so you guysdon't forget me...

Here's an old clip I recorded of my favorite Jeff Beck song. This was recorded with my '54 Oxblood Les Paul (the unofficial Beck LP) using a Tech 21 TM 10 straight to the computer. At the time, it had the stock '57 Classics installed. I also played finger-style, no picks allowed

Hope you like it.

'Cause We've Ended As Lovers

The guitar:

Re: An old fave of mine from Jeff Beck

sounds great ALF ... i like your tone and the vibe of your playing ... thanks for sharing it

do you have the backing track available? i'd greatly appreciate it if you could provide it

let me know
    thanks
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks

I do have the backing, but I'm short on webspace to post it. I could mail it to you if your ISP can handle it. It's a bit over 4MB.

Comment

Sweet clip, I love Beck and this tune

Comment

Now that is sweet, I am amazed at the tone you get from the Tech 21.

I may just have to buy one for recording. How do they at high gain?
          Last edited by kard2565; 06-11-2004, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys

I was able to post the backing at DSP. You can d'ld it here,

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000018584.mp3

Have fun!

Comment

Real nice! You have that man's tone and style down.

Comment

hi ALF --- there is some kind of error with that link for the backing track ... i cant play it with Quicktime or windows media player

anyone else geting it to work?

thoughts?
                cheers
                t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

that sounds great!
                  Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

Alf good to hear that one again. I have to tell you a funny story about it though. It was your first piece I heard when you first posted it a year ago. You had the vibe down so good that I was sure you were just some kid who had one of those "jam with" tracks that had some studio guy playing the thing and posted it as their own. I had forgotten about it until a few months back when one of the forum regulars "got caught" taking credit for other's recordings. I had sent Scott a pm discussing the issue and mentioned that I wondered who else may have posted stuff that wasn't their own. I remembered this great version and since you seemed to disappear for a long time right after that I suggested to Scott that perhaps you had taken credit for someone elses playing. Obviously I have heard several of your recent posts so I have to apologize for questioning your abilities.(That actually is a big compliment )
                    Last edited by Al.C; 06-12-2004, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words you guys

Al, that's too funny! I can assure you it's me playing, you can hear my clams pretty well on that weird fast part in the middle. I just made up a bunch of notes because there's no way I could cop the lick that Beck played.

t4d, that's why I hate Digital Sound Planet. I couldn't even upload stuff a couple days ago, this one finally took. You could try d'lding it again, maybe they're felling better today. Or, I can just mail it to you, shoot me your email again.

Comment

Another impressive clip ALF - I love that song and was hoping that would be it when I read the thread title - nice job.

Comment

Wow . . . its not just that you got the song down, but the tone is killer.

Great job ALF.

(Oh yeah . . . and sweeeeet LP too.)

Comment

Thank you, thank you (where's the little bowing smiley?)

I think this was one of the first things I recordedwith that LP. It still had teh '57 Classics in it, which weren't all that bad of pickups truthfully. I have a set of Timbuckers in there now (you see them in the pic). If I hadn't lucked into that set, the '57s would still be in there

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin Lee Fan
                              Thanks for the kind words you guys

Al, that's too funny! I can assure you it's me playing, you can hear my clams pretty well on that weird fast part in the middle. I just made up a bunch of notes because there's no way I could cop the lick that Beck played.

I have the worlds worst ears so I always just go with the feel. I try to play hooks and important melodic stuff fairly accurate but for longer stuff it's always my own (also I can't remember long solos even if I have the tab- old age I figure). Maybe if tab had been around when I was a teenager things would have been different. I remember hearing an interview with BB KIng and he said the reason he came to be known for a distinctive sound is because he couldn't copy other players very well so he figured he would play it his own way.

Comment

Working...
                              X