Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing sitting/standing

hey guys,

I gotta ask for advice on playing while standing up... I've got a decent height for my guitar,, resting the body on my hips - just standard height - although raising the strap really high makes it much easier, in the back of my mind I'll always prefer the guitar where it is... I was wondering if you guys had any tips on playing with accuracy, because when I'm sitting down, it's a LOT easier.

Perhaps just practise, practise, practise?
    bee
    Originally posted by Kanye West
    Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Re: Playing sitting/standing

Originally posted by Rainmaker
    Perhaps just practise, practise, practise?
    bee
    You just said it man. That's the perfect advise.

Comment

That's why classical dudes sit and jazz dudes string their guitars high. The guitar "high-up" is ergonomically better suited as you're not stressing your wrists so much. However, it doesn't look "cool" ever since Jimi and Jimmy slung theirs down low. I'm a sitter and high-hanger. I've decided to let my guitar do the talking and to heck with how anybody thinks I look. They'll only think you look funny until you've blown them away with your riffage. I doubt that anyone's gone to Petrucci and said, "Man, you look silly with that guitar slung high." It's hard to when your jaws on the floor.

Now, if my guitar would just start doing the talking already.

-Matt
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

mmhm I agree with you JammerMatt but a part of me wants to be able to sling it (reasonably) lower than guys like Petrucci, because undeniably, mucking around with it that kinda look to me is part of the my playing experience - which is petty of me... I try sometimes, lol.
        Not that I'm completely superficial or anything!

I think it can also be easier when you tilt the neck at an angle which points closer to the roof... accessibility is similar to having it strapped high.

This allows me to play low or high, because playing sitting (most of the time) will help me to play when the guitar is strapped high.
        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Haha I've never thought about the L-shape arm, Lee... but now that I think about it, it's pretty spot on.

Comment

I adjust my strap so that the guitar's about the same height sitting as when standing. I used to have it a lot lower, but I found that my wrist and my back ached when I played like that. And it was more difficult.

I prefer to play better than to look cooler myself

Comment

I usually try to adjust my guitar when I'm standing up just like the one poster said, so that my left arm is L shaped. Gives me the best most comfortable leverage. The other parameter I use Is that I try to line up the bridge with my right hip bone. That seems to do it for me. I have no clue how some folks can play really slung low. I get no leverage, I kill my wrist, and I can't do any good riffage, bends, or solos.

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker
                I think it can also be easier when you tilt the neck at an angle which points closer to the roof... accessibility is similar to having it strapped high.
                yeah it is, thats what people who play bass standing do because the necks are long. i play my bass with the neck slanted and the the center of the body is right over my jewels. thats where i started playing it standing up the first time and never adjusted the height, but at first it was killer on my wrists. then after a while (maybe i started playing it differently but didnt notice or maybe i worked out a wrist muscle lol) my wrist just like stopped hurting.
                The early bird catches the worm and the twelve-year-old prostitute attracts the ambassador.

Comment

mine rest over my hip bones, works great, i used to wear it really really low, then realized how much easier it is this way

Comment

About the same as that for me... Like hips-waist area... I dont see how that can look silly

i think having it too low looks silly. Like how lots of todays newer guitarists have em... you kno since Kurt cobain had his low everyone has to have it low hahaha...

Anyways, its more important to be able to play that thing rather than how it looks on ya, you kno? If u want it at a certain height, practice and make sure it isnt unconfortable....
                    <Insert awesome equipment here>

Fender MIM Midnite Wine Satin Strat
                    Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue Amp
                    Boss BD-2 Blues Driver overdrive

and a couple guitar picks

Comment

i sling both my guitarsso the bottom of the guitar is about crotch leval, and the top is about belly botton area.
                      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                      fender mim standard strat
                      peavey classic 30
                      johnson j-station
                      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                      yamaha f-310p acoustic
                      taylor 410 acoustic
                      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Hey-

It's been my experience that I seem to be able to hit the notes higher up on the neck easier while standing up. When I sit down, my knuckles and the backs of my fingers seem to get in the way of the lower horn of the guitar. As far as standing, I strap it on prety high. I just can't see how those Hetfield guys can play with their guitars knocking between their knees! I can see myself getting carpal tunnel real fast by doing that! When soloing up on the neck, does your palm leave the neck with just the thumb resting on the back of the neck? I can't see how some players have their thumbs hooked around the low E side of the neck with their palms in full contact with the back of the neck. Maybe hand size has something to do with it?

Very Metal.
                        Last edited by 7th Hell; 06-16-2004, 01:50 PM.
                        Very Metal.

:firedevil :headbang: :firedevil

ESP Lynch Kamikaze 4
                        ESP Lynch Sunburst Tiger
                        ESP Lynch Skulls and Snakes
                        ESP Lynch Serpent-colored lefty body
                        ESP KH-1
                        LTD F-207-7 string- custom metal headstock tone block
                        BC Rich KKV
                        Schecter Omen 7-7 string- SD '59 neck/Custom bridge
                        Soldano Series II Super Lead 60

Comment

Originally I slung my guitar low, emulating the rock gods of yore... I began to explore classical guitar and the positioning of the guitar relieved the stress on my back and wrist, not to mention, I noticed IMMEDIATE improvements in speed and accuracy. I now adjust my strap while seated in the classical position so whether I am seated of standing, the guitar is still in an ergonomically correct position. Although, I do manipulate the positions somewhat by rotation the neck from parallel to the floor to pointing more to the ceiling, depending on whether I am performing chordwork, or riffing! More importantly than how I look, is how I play and feel. I have developed accuracy and my speed is improving. Also, I have reduced the amount of trauma that leads to carpal tunnel syndrome. What's the use of playing if you will lose the ability in 15-20 years?
                          ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by 7th Hell
                            Hey-

When soloing up on the neck, does your palm leave the neck with just the thumb resting on the back of the neck? I can't see how some players have their thumbs hooked around the low E side of the neck with their palms in full contact with the back of the neck. Maybe hand size has something to do with it?

Very Metal.
                            My hands are pretty damn big. I can close my hands around the neck of the guitar so that my thumb and fingers are in contact. Some have commented that this is a gift from the guitar gods, but it isn't really. Having learned to play on an old Gibson accoustic, I was used to thick necks with wide nuts. Nowadays, nuts are narrow and necks are thin. This has really caused my to concentrate on hand placement by using my thumb as an anchor. However, I do utilize my thumb for basslines while plaing fingerstyle. When in Drop-D tuning, I use the 5th and 6th strings for an interesting harmony.
                            ~ Life In Every Breath~

www.gordonsgroovyguitars.com

Comment

Working...
                            X