Someone Help Me Mic A 4X12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone Help Me Mic A 4X12?

ok, this is my first 4X12, and i really dont know how to mic it... i'll be recording high gain heavy rock/metal. The distortion sound i'm using is dark, heavy, with a little bit of fuzz for texture. I have 3 normal mics (sm 57's) and a condenser. The cab is being pushed by a mesa rect-o-verb. Any help is appreciated( eq'ing the mics, mic placement, mixing, recording technique, etc.) thanks

Re: Someone Help Me Mic A 4X12?

The way i look at it, its more of a trial and error type of a thing. Start with a spot and record a clip, see how it sounds and then go from there.

I my self like to mic either the center or the cone of the speaker.

it also depends on the speakers.

good luck,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal
      The way i look at it, its more of a trial and error type of a thing. Start with a spot and record a clip, see how it sounds and then go from there.

I my self like to mic either the center or the cone of the speaker.

it also depends on the speakers.

good luck,
      Duke
      oh ya, 4 v30's

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
        oh ya, 4 v30's
        hmm.. i guess you can try to mic around the cone and see how that sounds. Usually you get a bit more bass around there.. that way, it sorta makes the sound a bit "equal" in the bass, mids and highs.

good luck,
        Duke
        www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

I usually like dead center on axis on the cone, and also midway between the center and hte edge on axis (pointed perpendicular to the grille cloth). Try both! Try the condenser in various positions a few feet from the amp. If you're using more than one mic, make sure you at least try flipping the phase on one or two of them to make sure you aren't getting any kinda cancellation issues (it's as simple as pressing a button and seeing if you like the sound better).

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Calx
            I usually like dead center on axis on the cone, and also midway between the center and hte edge on axis (pointed perpendicular to the grille cloth). Try both! Try the condenser in various positions a few feet from the amp. If you're using more than one mic, make sure you at least try flipping the phase on one or two of them to make sure you aren't getting any kinda cancellation issues (it's as simple as pressing a button and seeing if you like the sound better).
            i dont have a phase inverter in my mixer, but cant i just get a mic cord, unsolder the leads from pins 2 and 3, and switch em?

Comment

eeeh, tht's too much hassle for something that you'd just want to A/B anyway... are you recording digitally? usually there's a button for phase in your software. Or, just place your mics so there's no issues if you've got no other option (trial and error)

Comment

Working...
              X