Hearing Problems!! help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing Problems!! help..

OK im recording for a friends band, which full clips will be posted as soon we have it all completed (IMHO they'er great)
    but out problem is that the drummers only way to hear the metronome is we have to turn it up full volume with an eq 18db increase (Excruciatingly painful) any loewr and he complains he cant hear it over the drums..

He has cheap headphones under a pair of "peltors" ear muffs.. these things do keep out alot of sound but i cant understand why he still cant hear it over the drums he's playing...

So how do you pro studio guys get over this problem,????

Help is gratly appriciated..

Cheers....
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Hearing Problems!! help..

Originally posted by y2stevo
    OK im recording for a friends band, which full clips will be posted as soon we have it all completed (IMHO they'er great)
    but out problem is that the drummers only way to hear the metronome is we have to turn it up full volume with an eq 18db increase (Excruciatingly painful) any loewr and he complains he cant hear it over the drums..

He has cheap headphones under a pair of "peltors" ear muffs.. these things do keep out alot of sound but i cant understand why he still cant hear it over the drums he's playing...

So how do you pro studio guys get over this problem,????

Help is gratly appriciated..

Cheers....
    Well, I would add some off topic comment, but it looks like thats been covered already.

So, I'll try to be a little helpful

What I'd suggest, if you don't want to make a lot of changes, is go to a sporting goods store and get some of the headsets that hunters use when their crap-shooting. Have the drummer use those instead of the muffs...the hunter cans cut down noise a bunch.

Hope that helps...good luck!

Farkus
    2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
    1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

You Don't have a headphone Mixer ?? In my studio recordings everybody
      got there own headphone mix. I never played with a click track.
      I Can't/Won't do it !! It's the drummers job to keep time. As long as your
      locked up with him your good to go! I don't understand the concept of
      a whole band playing w/t a click track ?? If the drummer falls behind and
      you stay in time the track is a wash anyway.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

I allways thought that if everybody it is recording at the same time you don't need a metronome. The ability of the drumer to keep the rythm it is enought and the hole band just ajust to themselves going slightly nack and foward the rythm. That's different between live and studio recordings!

If you are going to record track by track them the drumer needs to hear a metronome so the rythm it is going to be the same all the song. And then the rest of the instruments record one by one hearing the drums... or the drums plus the rest of the instruments that have already recorded. If the drumer just records by itself the rythm won't be exactly the same all the time so it will be very difficul for rest to make an accurated play.

Comment

Get a metronome with a LED light for him alone, then he does not need the sound at all, and the rest of you can have better lives

Comment

Working...
          X