7 string clip - tone test, heavy metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 string clip - tone test, heavy metal

Ok, I think I'm getting close to a 'recording tone' for my heavy seven string stuff. I have a whole bunch of riffs I'm going to record soon and I want some continuity between them tonewise.

What do you think of this tone? Too thick? Nice and fat? Not enough cut/clarity? Any tips as what to change etc.. Bear in mind I do want a chunky+punchy sound, but it still has to have a decent amount of clarity

With my headphones on (Phillips HP 830s, currently) it sounds fine, but through my speakers (Creative 2.1 don't even know what model) the sound is a bit on the dark side and doesn't cut through as cleanly as I'd want.

I realise getting better speakers/headphones would solve the problem but that's out of the question at the moment.. when I leave for uni in a month I want the smallest possible amount of expensive gear in my room. My PC is hardly worth anything at all, and I've got all my files backed up + safely stored away... trying to minimise risks in all areas
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Re: 7 string clip - tone test, heavy metal

I'm listening on my KRK rokit 8's, and the guitar sounds pretty good to me. You've definately got it in a good place, any other tweaking should be due to personal preference.

The Drums are a little jarring though...most of the cymbals are mixed a bit too high, and the ride sits a little too low in the mix. The beats don't really sound very "drummer-like" either...but thats just food for thought.

Sounds good man.

Comment

Cheers for checking it out

The drums are just the stock samples that come with kontact silver, for Sibelius (notation software), I can't really mix them individually unless I want to go through the pain of notating each and every drum individually...

They're the best drum samples I have on offer to me, but the programme itself was bought more for the arranging aspects etc, as I like to write 'classical' stuff in notation form. I don't really have any dedicated drum software

I'm a totally rubbish drum programmer too, which doesn't help. I just write a beat that 'works' for the riff, and mix it high enough so it can be heard and then call it quits..... playing guitar is far more fun!!
      My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Sounds really smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius View Post
          playing guitar is far more fun!!
          Amen to that

Comment

Cool sound.needs more presence i think.You need a better software maybe.But the character is great.i liked it
            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

What guitar is that Nuni??
              Like it!

Comment

Cheers for checking it out everyone. I think I'll add a tiny bit more highs/presence but otherwise I think it's pretty close to what I want

Originally posted by Rid
                What guitar is that Nuni??
                Peavey Predator 7 string.

Got it second hand a while ago. It now has the trem blocked (OMG! ) and some thick strings on it : 10-52 with a 70 for the B. It has a dimarzio bridge humbucker but I don't know which one it is.
                Last edited by nuntius; 09-04-2006, 07:30 AM.
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

And yet another SD'er tightens the seven-string GAS screws on me. Thanks, thanks a lot.
                  Curt
                  CGord on myspace.com or soundclick.com

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Black Cherry
                  Dean Z-X, SD SH-6 Distortion (bridge), Black
                  Ibanez RG410, EMG 85, Pearl Red
                  Squier '51, 2-Tone Sunburst
                  Washburn WG587, Metallic Red
                  Schecter Stiletto Deluxe-5 bass, Black
                  Ibanez SR500 bass, Satin Mahogany

Comment

The sooner you give in, the sooner you get to stop complaining about it
                    My clips

Originally posted by Rid

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius View Post
                      Cheers for checking it out

The drums are just the stock samples that come with kontact silver, for Sibelius (notation software), I can't really mix them individually unless I want to go through the pain of notating each and every drum individually...

They're the best drum samples I have on offer to me, but the programme itself was bought more for the arranging aspects etc, as I like to write 'classical' stuff in notation form. I don't really have any dedicated drum software

I'm a totally rubbish drum programmer too, which doesn't help. I just write a beat that 'works' for the riff, and mix it high enough so it can be heard and then call it quits..... playing guitar is far more fun!!
                      Drumsite is very good. You can import from MIDI, adjust the pitch of the drums and there are variations on each so it sounds.... ....realistic.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X