banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I solo with major scales over minor chords?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I solo with major scales over minor chords?

Well, I've been reading up on some theory and stuff in a book. I can learn all the major scale stuff with it, but there's nothing about minor scales. As far as I understood it, you can solo in the key of the song even if it's over a different chord, does that mean I would be able to make a song in the key of C, for example, and then still use the C major scale to solo over it's relative minor chord, the Am?

Your help is appreciated, I've never cared for theory before, but I'm trying now, and it's rather interesting. Playing music isn't enough for me anymore, I need to understand it, so I can make my own music too.

BC Rich Mockingbird (Gibson Iommi/stock PUP)
    Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
    Marshall JCM900 50W Hi Gain Master Volume MKlll
    Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi signature amp
    Framus FR212 CB cabinet
    Marshall MG10CD (pretty crappy :laugh2: )
    Line6 Toneport UX2
    Rocktron Heart Attack

Re: Can I solo with major scales over minor chords?

Originally posted by Sune View Post
    Well, I've been reading up on some theory and stuff in a book. I can learn all the major scale stuff with it, but there's nothing about minor scales. As far as I understood it, you can solo in the key of the song even if it's over a different chord, does that mean I would be able to make a song in the key of C, for example, and then still use the C major scale to solo over it's relative minor chord, the Am?

Your help is appreciated, I've never cared for theory before, but I'm trying now, and it's rather interesting. Playing music isn't enough for me anymore, I need to understand it, so I can make my own music too.
    the answer to your specific question about C and Am is: yes.

but you really need to understand why...and I don't think you'll get the right and complete info on an internet forum.

try finding a teacher (jazz players are great at this stuff) that will explain at least the basics of western musical harmony so you can start kicking away doing your own thing!
    MY SPACE
    MY VIDEOS

Seymour Duncan Pickups used:
    TB59-1b Trembucker
    SSL-2 vintage flat

Comment

Originally posted by Soulman View Post
      try finding a teacher (jazz players are great at this stuff) that will explain at least the basics of western musical harmony so you can start kicking away doing your own thing!
      I'm pretty sure that is not possible around here. So the only way I can learn is by asking others and by reading stuff. Another thing I was wondering about is: can I use major scales even if the song is in a minor key?

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
      Framus FR212 CB cabinet
      Line6 Toneport UX2
      Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

I'm pretty sure that is not possible around here. So the only way I can learn is by asking others and by reading stuff. Another thing I was wondering about is: can I use major scales even if the song is in a minor key?
        Then all you need to know in the next couple of years is here:

As far as guitar music theory site's go, this one of the better ones I have found.

M.
        °
        my stuff

Comment

Major scales have a related minor scale. G Major is equivalent to E minor (in key signature), etc. So:

G major: I ii iii IV V vi vii I
          notes: G a b C D e f# G

E minor: i ii III iv V VI VII i
          notes: e f# G a B C D e

(lower case: minor chord. upper case: major chord)

So basically you have a whole bunch of relative major/minors
          C major -> a minor
          D major -> b minor
          etc

It's delving into music theory, so I'll skip the theory.

Basically you can solo major scales over minor keys all you want. Just experiment and hear and feel the songs, and try stuff.
          My Website || My Music
          Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
          ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
          Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Ah, I see. So the C major scale is exactly the same as the A minor scale? That's why it's relative?

Then how do you hear a difference between a C major scale and a A minor scale? By listening to which root you start and end on?

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
            Framus FR212 CB cabinet
            Line6 Toneport UX2
            Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Maybe I should mention that this is not for guitar, but for ukulele, however most of the things regarding theory are the same, it's just a different tuning and less strings and frets.

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
              Framus FR212 CB cabinet
              Line6 Toneport UX2
              Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Ah, I see. So the C major scale is exactly the same as the A minor scale? That's why it's relative? Then how do you hear a difference between a C major scale and a A minor scale? By listening to which root you start and end on?
                Yeah, but then there are variations on the scale:

Relative: a b C d E F G a

then there are ones that sharp the F and G once in a while (since the V of a minor is E major), can't remember the names of those scales.

Try this scale:
                a b C d e F# G# a g f e d c b a
                it goes up then down.
                My Website || My Music
                Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

without getting into theory, yes you can use the fingerings used to play a c major scale to play an a minor scale ... it will all come down to phrasing to determine how the notes you are playing fit over the chords

interestingly, with little variation, you can use the fingerings you use to play a c major scale over D minor chords and E minor chords as well ... this is the entry point to modal playing

trust your ears .. if it sounds good to you, it is good

cheers
                  t4d
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
                    without getting into theory, yes you can use the fingerings used to play a c major scale to play an a minor scale ... it will all come down to phrasing to determine how the notes you are playing fit over the chords

interestingly, with little variation, you can use the fingerings you use to play a c major scale over D minor chords and E minor chords as well ... this is the entry point to modal playing

cheers
                    t4d
                    Sure, but I want to know what is correct too

I read in the book, that if a song is in C for example, you can solo with the C major scale over ALL the chords in the progression. Did I understand this right?

So if a song was in G I could solo over all the chords in the progression with the G major scale as well..right?? Just trying to get the basic idea.

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                    Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                    Line6 Toneport UX2
                    Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Sure, but I want to know what is correct too

I read in the book, that if a song is in C for example, you can solo with the C major scale over ALL the chords in the progression. Did I understand this right?

So if a song was in G I could solo over all the chords in the progression with the G major scale as well..right?? Just trying to get the basic idea.
                      All the chords in a chord scale are built from those individual notes in the scales. Which gives you the freedom to pretty do whatever you like.

Correct really doesn't matter, it can be a limiting mindset, IMO. It ain't a math problem, its musical expression, when you think too much about what is supposed to go where you can lose touch with the artistic side of things. Trust those ears and take chances.
                      ]
                      FACEBOOK FUN RIGHT HERE!
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Invasi...94764430540777

www.soundclick.com/kevinschafer

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post

cheers
                        t4d
                        +1

Even then, look at Jimi Hendrix and others: they'll "borrow" notes from other scales while playing. Nothing wrong with that. Also, check surf music: lots of chromatics. Each style has its own thing. There's the flatted ii used in metal as well.
                        My Website || My Music

Comment

Originally posted by kevlar3000 View Post
                          All the chords in a chord scale are built from those individual notes in the scales. Which gives you the freedom to pretty do whatever you like.

Correct really doesn't matter, it can be a limiting mindset, IMO. It ain't a math problem, its musical expression, when you think too much about what is supposed to go where you can lose touch with the artistic side of things. Trust those ears and take chances.
                          Yes, but I feel that in order to be able to create, I need to be able to at least understand why.

Perhaps the reason why I think this way, is because I don't even have my ukulele yet. I can understand most of the theory that is described in the book but I can't try it out yet, because the state hasn't given me the money that they were supposed to give me earlier . So I'll probably have to wait a little over a week before I can actually try it out. But it sounds like I can use the Major scales for pretty much anything, which is a good thing, then I don't have to memorize too many scales, at least not in the beginning.

Let me see if I got everything right then. I can use the relative major scale for any minor chord, right? I should also be able to use the relative major scale to solo over a song that's in a minor key, right? Would that fit all the notes that the chords are built on too, since we established earlier that a C major scale for example, is the exact same thing as the A minor scale, because they are relatives and contain the same notes?

Sorry if my question is a bit confusing. I'm just trying to see if I got things right in my head.

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                          Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                          Line6 Toneport UX2
                          Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

Originally posted by TwinReverb View Post
                            +1

Even then, look at Jimi Hendrix and others: they'll "borrow" notes from other scales while playing. Nothing wrong with that. Also, check surf music: lots of chromatics. Each style has its own thing. There's the flatted ii used in metal as well.
                            That's a good point, but I guess I need to learn the basics before I can go further and add notes from other scales, etc... Or do I have the completely wrong mindset?

Custom guitar (JB/Jazz)
                            Framus FR212 CB cabinet
                            Line6 Toneport UX2
                            Rocktron Heart Attack

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think George Benson said " You are only a half step away from a correct note" or something like that....when referring to hitting a "clunker".....Play what sounds good to you.
                              Originally posted by tone4days
                              we're not musicians, we're beer salesmen

Comment

Working...
                              X